Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Over the next few years, I have my sights set on getting hired with SkyWest. Is it possible to work a second job while flying for them? I'm mostly concerned about that first year of working for basically nothing. As far as jobs go, I'm thinking anything from flight instructing to bartending...

Thanks for any replies...

Substitute teaching works well. You can usually call in the morning or the day before and pick up an assignment if you're not flying. It can be fun and the kids think being an airline pilot is cool.

Substituting is good. It pays about $50/day for a non-degree and $70/day for a degree. You can find this info from the state/county websites.

Recon the area where you'll be living for newspapers, websites, etc. From this you can sign up with temp agencies, pizza delivery jobs, part time gigs, etc...

Substitute Teaching is the way to go

Also I feel fortunate, because where I live substitute teaching pays $100-110 a day regardless of having a teaching degree.

Toy Soldier said:
pizza delivery
I can just see this one... A passenger boarding the aircraft and noticing that the pilot delievered his pizza the night before. Only in aviation... :(

MarineGrunt said:
I can just see this one... A passenger boarding the aircraft and noticing that the pilot delievered his pizza the night before. Only in aviation... :(
The truly sad thing is that a pizza delivery person or a substitute teacher (I've been both) earn more working part time than a typical first year full time FO (I've been that too).

bartending is the way to go. i haven't gotten on with a regional yet, but i bartend by night and instruct by day. with the way first year pay is, there's no way i give up slingin' drinks. way too much of a pay cut.

WhiteCloud said:
The truly sad thing is that a pizza delivery person or a substitute teacher (I've been both) earn more working part time than a typical first year full time FO (I've been that too).
I'm working as a ramper at SkyWest and when/if I start flying with them, I will take a paycut by about 2-3k per year (the first year).

Yep it's pretty sad a guy loading the bags makes more than the guy flying 30 plus lives and the bags from one place to another!!!I am in the same boat ...I work for a regional/international airline and hoping to transfer as a pilot soon and going to take a pay cut!!!!

part-time job

Taxicab driver is what I do on the side; if you can handle the drunks and young punks and bad areas. You always have a few bucks for the van driver and the overnights and most larger cab companies will need you to work only once every 30 days--work only when want to and learn the area you live for free; also truck/bus assignments if can get the 2-3 weeks off to do your CDL with pax/air brakes/& hazmat endorsements are also a lucrative side jobs.

Latest resources

Back