Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
After 5 airlines, 3 furloughs, and a bankruptcy I'm a little nervous about my career in aviation. Although I am once again employed I am nervous about the changes that our industry is undertaking and what those changes may mean for pilot job security.

I know quite a few pilots who are supplimenting their income with a variety of enveavours including one who is a Primerica representative, quite a few who have purchased and rent property (most as crashpads -- though that too would be dependant upon the success of the airline and, therefore, makes me nervous). I know one who opened an "Auntie Anne's Pretzels" franchize. There are a few who have worked out deals where they are able to work part-time at Home Depot with the understanding that if the pager goes off, they have to leave.

I guess I am looking for additional suggestions. I am going to do SOMETHING -- I just need to get moving in the right direction if it is going to involve schooling etc. I, obviously, want to maximize the time with my family. I still want to fly as well.

I do not expect to duplicate the salary I earn flying, but if I could find something that would produce a steady income which would pay the mortgage and keep food on the table should I be furloughed again, I believe that would be ideal.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be appreciated.

MickeyDeeeees!

Bur-Gar-Keeeeing!

Second income

Anything that would be dictated by your educational credentials?

I've heard of pilots who operate all kinds of second businesses involving or not involving flying. My Citation examiner flies for Delta. A year and a half ago a pilot wrote how he worked as an L.P.N. I know of a pilot who is also a mortgage broker. Obviously you need something that lets you set your own schedule.

I will put in a plug for paralegal school. That's my line of work now. Once more, it is not flying but it pays well and is steady. I went to school full time to earn my certificate. However, there are night and part-time courses which you can attend on-site or by correspondence. You do not have to work for a lawfirm full time to be a paralegal. There are plenty of contract paralegals who get experience, make contacts, and hustle up work, similar to hustling up flight instructing. There are also temp agencies for paralegals. I hate to admit it, but as a full-time paralegal you might make better money than with the regionals, have weekends off, be home every night, and not have to work holidays. Of course, it is not flying. As in any job, you deal with plenty of BS as a paralegal.

Don't believe the paralegal schools who are trumpeting "paralegal shortage." Paralegals are needed, but there is no shortage. Those schools obviously have partaken of Kit Darby's koolaid.

Speaking of Kit Darby, he is/was a United pilot. The way he parlayed his pilot shortage sophistry into the "business" he has must be one of the biggest pilot second business success stories ever! :rolleyes:

PM me if I can help further on paralegal school. In any event, good luck with your efforts.

Last edited:
One of the few "good" things about being a "career changer" is that you can often fall back on your previous career. In my case, I could do a voice over for a drug company and write an article about the experience, then go host a talk radio show about drug prices.

The challenge for many pilots is the development of a second or even a third set of skills which are independent of aviation, or at least independent of piloting.

I recommend you sit down with a guidance counselor and discover what else it is you like to do, and not just because you either have been or may be furloughed. Remember, your medical status can change, too.

Sure, Home Depot or Walmart can give you a check at the end of the week, but if you have the luxury of time, why not prepare to do something that interests you, like teaching, webdesign, or.....?

I'm loving my flying job but at $17,000/year it's not cutting it. I was thinking about getting a second job as a limo driver. A friend of mine who is furloughed now drives school bus (his wife makes the real money though).

Check out home businesses, there are lots of them out there. You get flexibility of schedule and great tax advantages. We have 2, I do communications stuff like phone service, cell phones, internet, etc. and my wife does nutritional supplements. You just have to find what appeals to you. Definitely do your research though because there are lots of fly by night scams out there. If the company has been in business for 8-10 years or longer that's a good sign, and ground floor or start-up in the home business arena is NOT a good thing...lots of times it is a tell tale sign of a pyramid trying to disguise itself as a legitimate business. PM me if you want more info. Good luck in you search...it's definitely a good idea to have some sort of safety net, I know alot of furloughed guys who wish they did.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back