Seaplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SweatHog said:
Have a friend who got his Initial seaplane rating in a complex twin. He had his own Grumman Widgeon. Does a MES qualify you to fly SES without further training?...or is it just a formality to get the SES?

NO and NO. It would be an additional rating. It is not unknown as many military pilots do the conversion and end up with a Commercial MEL. Then they will do a SEL add-on. I have seen one or two fail this checkride. Usually because the examiner feels their additude that the little airplane will not hurt them is dangerous and fails them.

Rick1128 said:
NO and NO. It would be an additional rating. It is not unknown as many military pilots do the conversion and end up with a Commercial MEL. Then they will do a SEL add-on. I have seen one or two fail this checkride. Usually because the examiner feels their additude that the little airplane will not hurt them is dangerous and fails them.

Did not know that "atitude" was a check parameter on the FAA list of observables? I get your drift, but still a little perplexed by this statement. Can you expand?

Just flew it at night.

I've got more night landings than i want to remember. I was allways worried some guy would be out in a canoe with his girlfriend with no lights enjoying the stars.

Gemboy75 said:
Diesel,

How did you go about satisfying the night time requirment?

3 hours of night instruction including a cross country flight over 100 nautical miles, and of course 10 take off and landings.

I know a couple of guys who did their initial private pilot in seaplanes, but that was when they would issue them with the night restriction anywhere (not just Alaska), and there was no requirement to remove the restriction.

Not sure when they changed that rule, but it's been within the last 15 years.

Fly safe!

David

Well here is an interesting follow up to this topic. Now what would you all consider an amphib to be,? Single engine land or single engine sea.

Then the night landings would be much easier as well.:bomb:

actually when i got my commercial i did all my checkride in a seaplane. Since a 185 counts as a high performance plane and the water rudders count as retractable landing gear.

Then i went up and did a couple of wheel landings in the 150 and got my comm sel and ses.

An amphib would be both.

Gemboy75 said:
Well here is an interesting follow up to this topic. Now what would you all consider an amphib to be,? Single engine land or single engine sea.

If it can land on the water you must have the SES rating even if you never intend to get it wet.

Latest resources

Back