screwed up an approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

If you screw up an approach- never get established on the ILS for 20L and just parallel it and don't descend cause you have a glideslope nav flag and are trying to figure and what is wrong. Approach never tells you your off the LOC then turns you over to tower and they advise you that your parallel to the course you tell them you have a nav flag on both by then, tower asks if you have the field in sight which you just picked up so you don't start a missed they clear you for the visual for 20R since you almost lined up with it instead of 20 L . You land and are not questioned at all(not told to call the tower) but you know you screwed up HSI had the GPS not LOC. My questions are..... is this a violation ? If it is what is the process if they are going to look into to it? Is approach required to tell you prior to turning you over to tower that your are not established. They don't have simultaneous approachs and no traffic conflict was created. I am kicking myself for this but believe me i have learned a very good lesson. I appreciate any constructive info

Did you penetrate a non-transgression zone on a PRM approach? If so, ATC should have said something if the simultaneous close parallel approaches were in use.

Maybe a NASA form is appropriate. Not that I think anything will come of it from an enforcement standpoint, but it seems that pressing or not pressing the VLOC button could have caused safety issues. That's what the NASA ASRS is for...the bonus to you is the "protection" if something happens.

All in all, if no metal was bent and no separation was lost, I'm sure ATC has better things to do than try to violate you for a regulation I can't seem to think you violated.

Hope that helped.

-mini

They were conducting approach to one runway only and I did fill out the NASA form already. Thanks for the info

The ones I fly in, if I have a loc tuned, there aint no way to get any signal from the gps; the hsi is automatically forced into displaying the loc course, the gps/nav light automatically flips to nav. In fact a common problem when inbound is to be in gps mode and go to tune and id the loc.... as soon as you switch the nav radio from a vor to the loc the airplane starts turning!
It sounds like my assumption that this was standard is incorrect from your post. (although maybe a good idea from the sounds of it!)

I think you have the back end covered...but

the best course of action is to determine how you made the mistake and create a flow or mental process that helps in the future. Experience is the net sum of our mistakes and those of others that we hear about.

Again thanks for the input I will add the VLOC to my approach brief, although from a violation stand piont I am still concerned and hope the time will pass quickly and nothing become of it. A violation on your record makes it harder to get a job, after the screw up I spoke with my DO who said ATC hadn't called about 2 hours after wanting to know who was flying so again hope nothing happens. Once again thanks for the input

You'll be fine. The tower saved you by clearing you for the visual and the right side runway. NASA form is always a good idea, but this sounds like a non-event.

Latest resources

Back