• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Screen or cage?

ebaybob

Total Time
Pardon me in advance for asking an obvious question but...here it is:

Why isn't there some kind or screen or cage over the intake for jet engines? I guess I'm picturing a screen or some other apparatus to avoid the ingestion of birds and debris into the engine. I can only imagine that it would somehow disrupt the airflow but that's only my uneducated guess. Can anyone enlighten me??

Thanks!!

erj-145mech

Total Time
I've worked on two aircraft that had retractable engine inlet screens, an F-86 and an A-37. The Cessna was a real hoover on the ramp. Endless FOD patrols in the engine run up area.

bugchaser

Total Time
10k+
Most operators run a screen over the intake on garrett engines used in ag. Lots of bird strikes and can be pretty nasty on a Garrett engine.

GravityHater

Total Time
It's probably easier to just put them high enough so they miss the fod.
The problems of a screen (icing, what if the thing breaks up, weight and added cost) likely make them impractical.

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
ebaybob said:
Pardon me in advance for asking an obvious question but...here it is:

Why isn't there some kind or screen or cage over the intake for jet engines?
Because they never start the jet engines until the monkeys are firmly strapped into their cockpit seats and the door is closed...so cages are not needed.

Fuzzy_is_Hungry

Burninating the Peasants
Total Time
1700+
The PT-6 has a screen before the inlet to the compressors, you just can't see it when the engine is under wraps.