Scope Clauses YES!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skippy22

I have an opinion that I would like to see how you all feel about. I am furloughed from AE, and I think that the scope clause about how many regional jets above 50 seats we can operate is great.

This is why.

If we as the regionals are allowed to have larger airplanes and start growing then what will happen to all the main line flying. Regional Jets are a way of the future for the companies but not the pilots. We need to keep the regionals "regional" and support the main line pilots. Why? Because that's where we want to be someday, so we better not fight to win something we really don't want in the future. Support your main line pilots and understand that management must not allow main line flying to get smaller, and the regionals to get to large. Also support this because if the Airlines had it there way we would all be flying regional jets for regional jet pay and we deserve a lot more as pilots.

It upsets me that someone that goes to school for finance can get a job in good times making $75,000 a year, and a trained and college educated F/O makes $30,000. Who has more responsibility for life. This is not to put down other jobs, but to say how we deserve more than what we get. Stand behind your fellow pilot when he/she complains about salary, because that will be you one day and it could be you now.

We must all stick together, do not become a sell-out and kick us all as pilots in the ass. You are all worth the experience you have, and you should be paid as so. I hope you all can understand my feelings and I hope all of you remember this.

OK, slow down, everything will be alright.

You're new to all this huh.

Well, I might agree with the premise of your argument, however scope that makes pilots unemployed with the potential for a payoff down the road is little comfort to the children and family members that are supported by that small paycheck.

I understand your argument, but unless mainling pilots can guarantee me a payoff for supporting their causes, I may just choose to sit on the side line and keep my mouth shut.

We at COEX have had a flow-thru agreement with CAL. With that in mind your argument works. It would be to the benefit of the CALEX pilots to see mailine grow. Without that agreement, all the CALEX pilots would be doing by supporting CAL scope is limiting their careers and growth opportuniteis. The fact of the matter is that more RJ's would mean more RJ captians, and larger RJ's would mean more money for RJ pilots. Wether or not that dollar figure is what a mainline pilot makes is irrelevant. It is still nothing to throw away. See what I mean? Your argument is valid depending on what your willing to give up, with no guarantee that your sacrafice will bear fruit.

BTW, who makes $30,000 first year at a regional. No-one that I know. I did $18,800 my first year, and that was more than many before me.

OK

I might be a little new to scope clauses and all, but I am not ignorant to see how it might hurt us. I was being optimistic about the $30,000, yes about $18,000 is right. I understand you want to be paid.

My argument is that I don't want a clause that limits growth in the regionals, but one which keeps the regionals from taking the mainline flying so we see a difference and there will be some place for us regional personel such as yourself to go to in the future

I just wish some kind of resolution could be sought out to ensure that pilots always get what they deserve. We are a special breed and we should be treated as so.

I hear yah.

Complex issue. I want to move on myself, but I cannot predict the future. For that reason, scope presents a problem for me.

Lets say for some reason I am unable to move beyond CALEX. Giving up more/larger a/c would only limit my pay and upward movement. Personally I thing SSL and mainling cariers capturing all jet flying W/ THE PILOTS THAT CURRENTLY FLY THEM is the answer.

Arrogance and uneducation preclude that from being a realistic solution presently. Time will tell.

Skippy,
Thanks for your opinion, but it's been heard a lot on this board. The other opinion is that more rj's mean more larger jets. I guess you can believe what you like, but most will agree that our union needs to treat everyone the same. The ends do not justify the means. Thanks for your opinion.

Thank you

Thanks you guys for replying. I really like getting another point of view. I am definitly not stubborn and I am willing to see other sides.

Good points there Skip. Just remember a few things about basic market economics:
1) Just because you're a college educated pilot doesn't mean your job is worth more than a college educated finance person. Supply/Demand. My first airline job was flying a Beech 99,8 legs
a day for $13,500 a year AND I had to pay $7000 for the initial training!!Why??It was 1992, Eastern was in the crapper,and QUALIFIED pilots were a dime a dozen.Supply/Demand.
2)You NEVER get what you deserve...Only what you NEGOTIATE!

Welcome to ECON 101 ... and yes ... it's criminal. Food stamp wages for FOs is the single biggest reason I'll never be able to pursue an airline career.

Minh
SE Piston Corp Geek

Latest resources

Back