Schweizer transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice and Stable

Flew my first flight in the Schweizer yesterday. Very stable, solid aircraft with very good visibility. Coming from all my training in a R22, it seems to be nothing short of a joy to fly. Cruise flight is slightly nose down, and you do have to mind the throttle, but the correlator does a lot of the work for you. I flew 1.2, with some approaches and quick stops mixed in. All good so far. And I am not missing the T-bar cyclic in the Robbie. Fly safe

Careful not to let your head swell up so big ya can't get out of the door.

That's how good you'll feel after flying the TH-55.

I will be doing the same transition soon. I am working on my private add on in the R-22 and should be done in Feb. Then I want to get checked out in the 300C (commercial add on). The current wait time for Robinson's safety class is running 5+ months, so I am debating if I am going to spend the $ for this class.

Words

NoJoy:

The add on stuff was a challenge. You will find your self saying the following "if you can hover an R22, you can hover anything". I have met former Navy carrier pilots who shudder at the thought of flying helicopters. Enjoy your experience. Once you jump back in fixed wing you will have a better touch and if you get your Instrument add on, you will definitely notice the improvement. Let me know how it goes. Fly safe.

I currently fly DCH-8s, so I am doing the helicopter add on for fun. The next step for me is the commercial add on, then instrument and ATP. I hope that learning on the R-22 will make me a better heli pilot. It is very sensitive! Especially in any type of winds over 5-7knts. Flying a different helicopter will give me a good idea of my training on the Robinson.

Latest resources

Back