School Project regarding 9/11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Michael Hill said:
Ok, I'll give you guys some questions to work with...

1.) Do you believe that the main cause of going to Afghanistan was 9/11? If not, explain please. (I know some people believe that Bush wanted to go to war in the first place, not to be prejudice.)

2.) Do you belive that Operation Iraqi Freedom was a failure?

3.) How do you think airport security has changed since 9/11?

4.) How has America altogether changed since 9/11? Operation Iraqi Freedom?

There you go. Just something to work with. If any of you have anything else to add on, feel free. This is a big project for me and it's great to have people in the flying community to help.

Mike

The only things I'd be worried about with doing a research paper and using this forum for answering these types of questions are:
1. How are you going to cite your references? (Minitour - FI.com)???

2. These seem like opinion questions versus fact questions. It may be that you are looking for opinion, and in which case you're on a great course to getting what you want, but if you need fact....I'd try asking more factual questions versus "do you feel..." type.

Just mho

-mini

PS
Good Luck!

Michael Hill said:

1.) Do you believe that the main cause of going to Afghanistan was 9/11? If not, explain please. (I know some people believe that Bush wanted to go to war in the first place, not to be prejudice.)

There you go. Just something to work with. If any of you have anything else to add on, feel free. This is a big project for me and it's great to have people in the flying community to help.

Mike

Hi Mike... Good Q's! Here is one guys opinion:

1) I believe, generally speaking, that 9/11 WAS the triggering event that led us to Afghanistan. Note I said TRIGGERING. I believe that the history of our Asian intervention (both Iraq and Afghanistan) is more about demonstrating to Iran that we had the techincal means and political will to protect American interests and ensure our national security in Southwest Asia. Look at the geography involved: We knock over an Islamic Theocracy on Iran's eastern border. Then we forceably remove a Ba'athist/Pan Arab Nationalist regime on Iran's western border. To me, it seems that having our national interests worthy of war in two countries that border the world's largest state sponser of terrorism and most threatening soon to be member of the "Nuclear Club" is just a little too coincidental. Generally, if you park 250,000 troops on someone's border, they get the message loud and clear. Unfortunately, it seems Ahmadinejad (sp?) isn't picking up the phone.

Summary: 9/11 provided the vehicle for a policy which was already in the works regarding American security interests in the Middle East.

2) Remains to be seen. Nation building is hard. It took a decade after WW2 before we felt a little cozy with things, and American troops were needed to protect Germany (and the rest of W. Europe) from the Soviets until the early 1990's... Nearly half a century of military deployment (and don't forget Korea... We are still there). Iraq isn't an episode of "CSI" where all of the problems can be worked out between commercials for Coke and Charmin. This will take at least a decade, and probably more. I am beginning to doubt we have the political will to make it work, due mostly to the American public's unreasonable expectations and short attention span.

3) I don't feel it has a whole lot. We probably do a good job of preventing "copycat" type crimes. As far as detering a sophisticated threat... Maybe a little better but not much. I am a fan of civil liberties, but lets face it, little old ladies aren't trying to blow stuff up... It is mostly Arab males, 17-35 years of age. Until we start really looking at the folks we need to look at, I feel all the improvements are window dressing only. Unfortunately, if we want to retain the amount of freedom we have in our society, then we have to afford everyone the same rights and make screenings as random as possible. It is a no win situation... Unacceptable civil libery violations or a free society with an element of danger. You pick...

4) Wow... we have changed allot. Americans I think are generally more aware of the world around them. Hard times tend to drive people to become informed and vote, which is a good thing. I think for the first time since the civil rights movement of the '60s we are openly debating what our Constitution means and what we are willing to sacrifice to be safe. All of this is positive. An informed populace is the surest protection agianst tyrrany.

Good luck...

Michael Hill said:

Mike

go away, theres too many libs to defeat here already, come back in a year

Last edited:
Metro752 said:
go away, theres too many libs to defeat here already, come back in a year

The kid is 13!!! He doesn't know anything about lib or con.

Tell him what you think instead of being a j-----s.

By the way, he thinks like a conservitive.

Last edited:
School paper

Michael Hill said:

1.) Do you believe that the main cause of going to Afghanistan was 9/11? If not, explain please. (I know some people believe that Bush wanted to go to war in the first place, not to be prejudice.)...

Mike

Michael... based on your questions; I'm not so sure this is the right group to ask. Not that they won’t have opinions. I’m sure they will. Rather, I don’t think you are taking advantage of the first hand knowledge they have. Probably questions along the lines of how has your life, your career, your choices or your industry been effected by the events of 9/11 and the governmental changes which followed?

The industry has changed a lot since Sept of 2001. Many small fight schools, which had been in business for over a decade or more, had to close their doors. The huge amount of foreign students which used to fill the schools quit coming. Insurance companies increased the rates which made it next to impossible for so many flight schools to stay open.

All students of larger aircraft whether US citizen or otherwise are now required to go through background checks prior to receiving training. This had added expenses to the hiring and training process. Foreign students applying for training at schools with large aircraft must sponsored by an employer. i.e. non-citizens cannot attend any of the airline pilot training schools unless they have already been hired. They cannot get hired because they cannot get the training.

There’s more…. but I’ll leave that to the others to tell…

I do have a question though…. If you are writing on the 1990’s … how does an event in 2001 fit in? i.e. the direction of your paper is what in the 1990’s led up to 9/11?

Good luck with your research.

flyerswife

Michael Hill said:

Mike
Mike,
I think that going to Afghanistan would not have happened quite as readily if it were not for 9/11. I think that was a catalyst that put the president in a position that forced him to go into Afghanistan.

I do not believe Operation Iraqi Freedom is a failure. If you look back at history, there have been many pre-emptive operations. Granted, few were as large as this one. We had a guy who didn't like us, who was supposed to do somethings, that he agreed to do. We had reason to think his lack of cooperation was due to things he was trying to hide. It was a big move, but necessary given the facts of the time. As others have pointed out, it will take a long time before we can withdraw.

I think that the changes in airport security are largely cosmetic, but were and are necessary. Unfortunately, there will have to be more changes because what we have done hasn't been enough to stop someone who is really crafty. Remember, the shoe bomber came on the plane with explosives in his shoes, after security was tightened. What I do think changed is the perspective of passengers. Before it was a pain in the neck, now it is viewed as a pain in the neck, but necessary.

I don't know. There are to many things to think about. First, though, is that I think if there ever was another hijacking, the planes would not make it where the terrorist would want. People remember what happened. I think people are a little more careful. You could as the same question about how did America change after Katrina.
Good luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back