• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scheduling Software

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Run a trial on the various programs. FOS is by far not the best out there. If you like 45 windows open on your screen, go with FOS. FOS seems like a web-based program from when the internet first started - it's quite lame and difficult to navigate. You could likely build an excel spreadsheet that would be easier to use and only open one windown over FOS's numerous windows needed just to see what time a trip leaves. FOS..much to be desired.

Totally untrue, and absolutely ridiculous!

FOS is $40K to start a basic prgram, how big is your Dept? There is company called Aero-Tec out of Ill someplance has an inexpensive pakage for a small department.

FOS is $40K to start a basic prgram, how big is your Dept? There is company called Aero-Tec out of Ill someplance has an inexpensive pakage for a small department.

While I don't recall the exact cost of the system, the price varies depending on how many user licenses you buy with it (how many users can be on the system at the SAME time). You can buy 3 licenses, 10 licenses, and one above that (I don't remember what the next cutoff is). Every department I've been associated with (with an average of 4 - 5 jets) has bought the 10 user license - I seem to recall the $20k number as being something that sticks in my mind.

We have 25 airplanes, 100 pilots, 20,000 hr/yr

We have 25 airplanes, 100 pilots, 20,000 hr/yr

Suggest you look at the customer list of CTA - it's on their website. They have multiple operations that have 50+ aircraft in their respective fleets, including some of the biggest charter/management companies in the country. That speaks for itself.

And if your operation, as big as it is, has a problem spending $40k (which I'm sure is exxagerated) on top-of-the-line software, what does that say in general about your company?

No the 40K seems to be a reasonable number, not sure where you got the idea I thought it was out of line. Someone mentioned they paid less, and stated the size of their dept, I responsed we had a bigger operation and that is why have been quoted more.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]The company I worked for is fairly small but diversified in its business holdings. They found that they utilized several different software programs, none of which were tailored for any one of their specific companies. We were forced to take annual updates and pay monthly or annual fees. An IT guy who works next door and stops by for coffee a couple of times a day suggested we hire a programmer and for several projects, we hired a programmer(s) to develop our own software. This was relatively inexpensive. We found that while many people are capable of programming, stick with the hard core programmers. You want someone who is a “clean” programmer and who will document their work so when you need to add or change something, any other competent programmer can accommodate you should the original programmer have retired to Costa Rica. Put an ad on Craigslist with a brief description of what you need. Interview a few and see what they have to say. In our experience, forget the server. We have web based programs and can access or input data anywhere there is an internet connection. Good luck.[/FONT]

We have also been looking at programs for our 5 turbine aircraft 135 operation. FOS was quoted at about $12,000 and is incredible, but may be overkill for our organization (or lack thereof).

There is a free trial of a web based program-

www.flightops1.com

which is fairly new. They have done a number of upgrades in the few weeks we have been trying it. Not nearly as robust as FOS, but easy to use, and they seem to be working hard to adapt it to actual users. Definitely not the program for Yip's 12 gazzillion aircraft ops, but good for a few pilots and a dozen or so crew members. Also, since it is completely web based, it is accessible anywhere you get internet. Looks a little funny on a blackberry, but usable.

As I said before, thank you all for your insight into scheduling software. I have made contact with the mentioned providers and am awaiting trial demos, price quotes, etc.
We are a Part 91 operation with a Citation !0, Gulfstream 5, and two small turboprops. We don't intend to actively operate all types except the 5 full-time. As we grow and continue to modernize, we need a professional software package that can handle our worldwide operation.
One question, do most depts. operate with or without their own servers? What about security and anonimity?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back