Schedule, lifestyle, fitness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Len

I've been recently laid off from my dream corporate job... Here is my question for you fractional guys. Given the "typical" fractional schedule, is there anyone here able to train for a marathon, triathlon, or race bicycles at a fairly elite amateur level? If so, how do you do it? If the typical schedule is 7 on and 7 off, do you run and ride the lifecycle at the hotel? Are there a few duty days while you are "on" that are short enough to allow for this or are you so tired from working that you have no energy left for exercise.

Hey Len,
I have trained for a marathon while working at NJA and I know of several pilots with us who are in the elite level for triathlons and marathons. So in short the answer is yes.

In long it depends more on the individual then the job. If you want to train, you will find the time and energy.
BT

The killer is if you have a very strict daily training regime leading up to a race. (Especially the biking). The quality of stationary bikes at hotels varies greatly and I would go so far to say some are even dangerous. As far as a tri is concerned, If you end up spending most of you time flying in the north east during the winter, finding adequate pool facilities would make training for the swim pretty difficult.

If you are training for a marathon alone, you can pretty much run anywhere.

But like the other guy said, if there is a will, there is a way. May just want to plan on a top 20 finish instead of a top 5...LOL.

Now, if you need to gain weight, most hotels have decent bars with yummy bar food and the crew meals can be quite filling!:D

Thanks guys. I'm a fairly decent road racing cyclist. I asked about the marathon and tri training because I've found the time commitment to be fairly similar. You answered my question... If you want to get the training done then you'll find a way. I'll hit the hotel lifecycle. No different then I had it other than I was able to take my bike along to some fairly cool destinations sometimes. That will be out! Not sure about the crew meals. I've seen you guys around and joked about the similarity between the size of the crew meal and the size of the waistline. Should I get hired I'm guessing I'll be packing my clif bars. Thanks again!

Len, 7 on 7 off is actually a great schedule, IMO. Now, not having really done that sched, YMMV, but look at the big picture...

On your 7 days on, don't sweat the swimming and biking...just run. You can do that anywhere. If you luck out and find a pool or a good stationary bike, fine, but you'll have plenty of time on your 7 off to get in the pool, and knock out the bike workouts.

The toughest part of an ultra distance event, (besides getting to the starting line) is the last several hours of the event. Weather it be a 100k run, Ironman, etc...

Look at the ironman results..most of the finishers that are shark-bait for the cutoff times essentially walk the marathon!

Ironman training is all about being able to get off that bike and RUN 26 miles. Most folks WAY underestimate that little tid-bit!

So, in short, RUN on your 7-on. It will pay WAY more dividends than a couple of bikes or swims.

NJA pilot in the X ... Won (As in came in first) the Antartica Marathon. Yeah he posts here too (a lot).

Although not at NJA at the time... first military person to win the Marine Corps Marathon is an NJA Captain. Was on the cover of Runners World at the Boston Marathon with Bill Rogers and Frank Shorter. He was a legend in the San Diego running community when I lived there.

Last edited:
.....Although not at NJA at the time... first military person to win the Marine Corps Marathon is an NJA Captain. Was on the cover of Runners World at the Boston Marathon with Bill Rogers and Frank Shorter. He was a legend in the San Diego running community when I lived there.

Farley Simon is at NJA? His win was back in '83. I was there for my first MCM. That was a special day for the MCM!

Ultra--

He was the first Marine. The first military person was a Navy Pilot and former base XO at NAS Cubi Point.

Ahhh...that's right. First marine. In fact, if I recall, Simon took top honors several years ago again, although I believe he was recently retired from the corps.

I had forgotten about Cochrane....good memory!

Ultra--

Latest resources

Back