Scenic, Skywest or Pinnacle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SSDD said:
I think that Scenic is a good job, however, with all due respect to the previous posters, if you actually have a choice of Skywest or Scenic, then the advantage would be to Skywest. The fact is that the majors are not hiring a whole lot, so you're looking to spend some time at the regional level.

I'm by no means an expert, but in talking to people, there seems to be over 100 former Scenic pilots at Skywest. So it seems like going directly to Skywest, or any other good regional would be a step in the right direction.

Maybe....but if there is a hiring boom in 2007 or any year soon for that matter would you rather be at Skywest with 1ooo PIC and some jet time having gone to Scenic first or just another CRJ FO with no PIC which there are thousands of out there.

The fact is , Scenic can allow you to get the 121 Turbine PIC very quickly so you have that box checked. Thats a big step towards a National or Major and if either really start hiring to not have it doesnt make you very competitve....imagine how many crj-erj-saab-dojet-etc FOs there are out there with a few thousand hours. Im sure you ask any one of them if they could have a quick 1ooo PIC in their back pocket they would take it in a second.

SSDD said:
I think that Scenic is a good job, however, with all due respect to the previous posters, if you actually have a choice of Skywest or Scenic, then the advantage would be to Skywest. The fact is that the majors are not hiring a whole lot, so you're looking to spend some time at the regional level.

I'm by no means an expert, but in talking to people, there seems to be over 100 former Scenic pilots at Skywest. So it seems like going directly to Skywest, or any other good regional would be a step in the right direction.
I think it is depends on each pilot's situation and career plans. For many, you are right. A 600 hour pilot is not going to get hired at Sky West. Of those 100 former Scenic pilots (and there are probably more) at Sky West, I at least 1/3 and maybe even 1/2 of them went there after getting their 1000 PIC at Scenic.

On the other hand, I have gotten PMs/e-mails recently from 2 Aloha pilots who fear they are going to be facing long term furloughs soon. Both are asking about Scenic because they lack turbine PIC and because they feel Scenic will give them a better income sooner. I have received other e-mails in the past from other regional pilots without any turbine PIC and no hope for any soon at their current employer.

I'm not saying Scenic is the answer for all, I'm just saying Scenic offers a lot of advantages. For me it was better pay and better quality of life while I await recall to Hawaiian than I could get at a regional or fractional. That management is not the enemy at Scenic is a big plus too.

I'm just trying to ensure Scenic is fairly represented and that all the information necessary to make an informed decision is available.

Steveair said:
PS - Jim, sorry to here such a nice guy was furloughed. .

Obviously you've never flown with Jim before!

Actually you've never flown in a crew environment before! Don't worry just keep telling yourself that the CFI time you have is meaningful. Lazy eights and eights on pylons are very important in the REAL world.

Just keep saying this too yourself Steveair....Right rudder...right rudder....right rudder...flare...flare...flare.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back