Scenic Airlines question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Baja,

I didn't know you were a ditch dog too. When and where?

BTW, how's Alaska and tell me you didn't resign the Red Tail #.

I noticed that they run their Twotters two crew.
I come from Canada, where everything is pretty much two crew from PA31's and up.

Is there somewhere that there's a list of what airframe uses two crew v. single pilot? Or is it safe to say over 12500 is two crew?

Or does is change from company to company (Part 135 v. Part 121?)
Part 135 companies can fly single pilot if they keep it under 10 PAX (ie. C402 single pilot with 9 PAX), cargo carriers can get away with as much as a BE1900 single pilot.

How long is the average FO tenure at Scenic? Do they only hire local (Vegas) people?

How long is the average FO tenure at Scenic? Do they only hire local (Vegas) people?
Its fairly short, a few months to upgrade (could depend on your hours/ranking), or move on to another job. Being local helps, but I've seen them interview guys from out of town. From what I've heard, it helps if you're single too.
If I were coming from out of town to fly a twin otter, I'd go for Grand Canyon airlines, so you can at least live in company housing at the canyon, as opposed to trying to make it on minimum wage in Las Vegas. The average one bedroom around here is $750 a month.

Scenic Info

Does anyone know if Scenic is hiring in to the left seat of the otter and do they still fly the 1900's. I hear they gave up the EAS contract. Also and current pay scale for the otter, 1900 and 402.

Thanks

The 1900 are going, hence, a slow hiring period for Scenic. Twin Otter pilots (both Scenic and GCA) make roughly $1000 a month to start as an FO, and over $30,000 a year when they upgrade. Most will say: "I'm just doing it to get the multi-crew turboprop time."

The 402s flying the Canyon are King Airelines, and they'll pay you $40 for "air onlys" and $55 for "air grounds" (involving a 3 hour layover at the canyon). Of course you have to start out in the C206 at $10 less per flight. Also, plan on 5 to 7 flights per week in the C206 unless they're understaffed. Upgrades take 2 to 9 months typically. The main saving grace is that they allow their pilots to accept tips.

Time builder,

Thanks for the update. I asked about the 402's because Scenic's pilot website has applications for the Otter or 402 captains. I also read on this site that Scenic is moving to Boulder Airport? Any update on that?

Thanks

Time builder,

Thanks for the update. I asked about the 402's because Scenic's pilot website has applications for the Otter or 402 captains. I also read on this site that Scenic is moving to Boulder Airport? Any update on that?

Thanks
I heard Scenic on the radio yesterday doing some approach up there. Dont know if it was training or what

Time builder,

Thanks
Yes, Scenic is moving into Boulder. They'll be working in close proximity to Grand Canyon airlines out of the same airport.

The 402 is a very profitable plane at thirty gallons per hour, single pilot, and 9 PAX, and I'm sure it would be a good move for Scenic. Rumor is, however, days are limited for piston powered aircraft in the Canyon due to changing regulations.

King Airelines has "dreams"of operating Caravans to replace their fleet if pistons are ever banned from the Canyon. I just don't see the Caravans being as profitable with their fuel burn/speed/pax load and cost of aquisition compared to the C402.

Latest resources

Back