• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scabs are working NOW!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:cool: Well all I can say is that this is going to create one HUGE problem. If they outsource the MX, what is to stop these companies from continuing on down the line. If they break One Union, The Others are possibly next! I hope the best for the NW MX boys/girls! All the unions should stick together or they will end up losing out....I FEAR!

Darned 3PMP's!

There is really nothing the Union can do. The trend in the inustry is to move to 3PMP's or Third Party Maintenance Providers such as PMCO and TIMCO. The requirements in FAR Part 145 are very loosely worded and allows for non 121 certificated mechanics to work on 121 aircraft. In addition, MSG3 or Maintenance Steering Group 3 is also a problem in that it lets the carriers regulate their own TBO's without FAA supervision. 3PMP's cost 50 - 60% less than using your own in house maintenance. Direct competition has lead to any form of cost reduction, and maintenance costs are a big part of the operation. Look at Delta moving most or all of its havy checks to 3PMP's in El Salvador and Alaskan is 100% outsourced. NWA has no other option but to outsource some or all of their maintenance to these lowball companies. The airlines can no longer support the $70-90,000 dollar per year mechanics (although they are worth every penny in my eyes) and still survive.

The AMFA has a reputation for not working towards the best interests of the companies (not that sometimes the companies may deserve what they get). There is always a conspiracy theory that they base their actions on and they usually do more damage than good. Blaming the other Unions that have done their homework is not the answer. BK is inevitable, and the company can go on forever with 3PMP's ready to perform the maintenance. The mechanics will eventually find themselves in a position that they wont be able to overcome. If the Union is providing a weekly or monthly stipend, it wont last forever. The Union will end up doing the same thing that the Grocers strike did in California. Quit paying union benifits and capitulate at much lower benifits than the original offer was because the Union was loosing to much money.

NWA is doing what every other company is doing and that is sending most of their maintenance to 3PMP's. Striking to keep all of the mechanics on the payroll without a reduction in pay is futile in todays environment. Another approach may have been wise at this point.

pilotmyf said:
That's quite a stretch Anthony. There always has to be that one person that takes an intelligent thread and hijacks it with their stupidity that they think is pure wit.
If you think I think that's witty, you're sorely mistaken; I see no wit at all. All I did is take someone's weak logic ("The scabs crossing the line are just people trying to make a living, so don’t blame them.") and take it to a logical extreme. The obvious absurdity exposes the flaws of the logic to an objective observer, but it will not open the eyes of one who prefers to be blind.

If you agree with the logic applied in this statement, then you believe in the logic applied in the two statements I provided. It's the same logic.

If you disagree with the logic applied in the two statements I provided, then you must disagree with the logic of the scab's excuse. It's the same logic.

COOPERVANE said:
Why isn't there more of an outrage about the scabs replacing the NWA mechanics out there?

Because being a scab these days is an "acceptable" practice.. Everytime I speak out against scabs I get blasted.

Tram said:
Because being a scab these days is an "acceptable" practice.. Everytime I speak out against scabs I get blasted.

Screw you, Tram. Take your garbage somewhere else!

JUST KIDDING... I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, being a scab or a scab-like intentional non-union worker (read:G-o-J-e-t-s) is not like the death sentance that it once was. I'm not advocating burning cars and beating guys silly, mind you. I do think that with the economy down the line "doing what I have to" is too much of a free pass for some.

I guess this industry really isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:
:)

Yeh, the industry isn't nor will it ever be what it once was.. If I ever am ever given a "Scab list" - I'll keep it..

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't NWA's AMFA comprised mostly (i.e. over 50%) of ramp workers and not mechanics. Sorry, You're not going to get any sympathy from me for guys making 50k cleaning airplanes and loading bags with only a GED. Can the mechanics seperate from the rest of their local? Maybe then they can return to the table.

410dude said:
NWA is just doing what it has to do and the replacement mechanics are doing what they have to do to put food on the table. You would too in the same situation.

Do us all a fovor and forget to put your gear down the next time you go flying jr. I think that I can speak for most pilots on this board when I say... we don't want pilot like you in this industry.

Stillflyn

stillflyn said:
Do us all a fovor and forget to put your gear down the next time you go flying jr. I think that I can speak for most pilots on this board when I say... we don't want pilot like you in this industry.

Stillflyn

Amen...

Originally posted by 410dud
I have decided to come out of the closet and declare that Kngarthur and I are gay.

WOW dude, WTFO?

Latest resources

Back