Say it ain't so, ZW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aview1 -

Guys who pay for a type - You can have all the faith you want in low time pilots, but you know it and everyone here knows it, no stick and rudder skill from any scab who bought a type will ever replace solid experience in either seat. Low time pilots occupy a seat...they don't fly an airplane. The Captain has to pull the weight of the entire ship, and the FA might as well be up there for all the good that a low time pilot does.

Military pilots...we all know what kind of screening programs the military has for their pilots. OF COURSE they are going to do well with their pilot training. All the dim witted and half assed are wiped out during pre-screening. The so-so's are shown the door during initial training and then the just okay don't pass flight training and end up painting runways. Only the best see the seat of the T37, and yes, they do have low time but can fly the hell out of an airplane. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Besides which, any military man....not just pilots, deserve only the best for what they are doing for this country. They are the ones out there on a daily basis defending our right to live as Americans and be free from terrorism.

Don't compare the two....a scab who buys a type just laid out 7K for some sim time just so he can wear his stripes and hat and hope that finally now that he wears his "cool airline pilot uniform" some chick with an 1/8 brain will want him for a few minutes until she finds out he is part of the 80% of pilots who are complete
self absorbed losers and pleasure themselves to pictures of the 777.

I leave you with this: "You can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a cow's a*s, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's advice?"

beech1900kid,

I am in the military, and have defended this country. I know about the process a h*ll of alot more than you. Grow up young man, learn what a scab is before you atempt to throw around words for which you obviously have now idea what they mean.

I look forward to myself, or anyone I know on a hiring board one day at a major, when we come across someone like you. Your in for a wake up call with an attitide like that. You have no idea of the implications, or true meaning of the word scab.

wow,

now people who buy types are suposedly scabs:rolleyes:

pathetic. 1900 guy you just insulted thousands of current and wannabee Southwest pilots. Bet you're a welcome jumpseater.

Exxxxxxxxcellent......He He He He He....

Struck a cord didn't I boys???

Ask yourselves this. If pay for training was such a great program, why did every airline that mattered get rid of it by 99'??? Paying for a type just to get an interview with 600 hours is the same thing. Parallels the PFT system almost to the T. Look at history guys.

Aview 1 answer me this and then I'm done - There are two RJs on the tarmac. One has two pilots hired with 2000Total Time, 121 experience, and 2000 hours a piece in the RJ. The other RJ has an "experiment" FO who got hired with 600TT and a type, and the Capt made PIC when he turned 23 with only 1500 total. Both are going from ATL to ORD severe turbulence, holiday traffic, thunderstoms, icing, an MEL'd generator, two hour delays, and pissed off and drunk PAX. You have to put them all on one plane at that very moment. WHich plane do they go on? If you answer the latter, then the radiation from the WX radar has probably gotten you a little on the cooky side. If you answer the former, then your point is moot. Next case...

FYI - Scab is a term that doesn't just apply to those who cross the picket line. It applies to a person that crosses the group as a whole and disrupts the synergy of the pilot group. You do that, and you might as well be black listed.

About SWA - they have a limit to meet called "minimums." Those guys put their time in and deserve what they earned. In the words of George W....make no mistake! They all have PIC time and a heap of hours.

Beech, you sound like one of many in the long line of people who are bitter about the fact some low-time pilots are able to get on with 121 carriers. This is despite the fact that if they get hired and make to the line, they have passed the same indoc, systems test, and sim checkride that every other FO has, regardless of their hours. If a 600 hour guy who bought a type rating and a 2500 hour freight dog both make it through 121 training, they are pilots of equal demonstrated ability in the eyes of the FAA and the airline with which they are employed.

You also neglect to mention that many airlines that hire low-time pilots do so out of flow-through or ab-initio programs that teach that particular company's procedures. These new hires with low time typically can't upgrade until at least 3000 TT, so the company will be able to get a maximum out of their training dollar and when said FO finally does upgrade, he/she will have a ton of experience on that aircraft and will be very prepared for what might come their way.

I don't understand why anybody with zero time in type and less than ATP minimums would want a CRJ type, and I would never PFT to "fly a jet" because I think doing so is detrimental to career pilots everywhere. However, just because they did doesn't make them SCABS.

I had a 121 pilot tell me one time that other pilots would call me a SCAB if I got hired on with lower-than-published minimum times. I figured he was just a 25 year old that didn't know what he was talking about, then I read Flying the Line and knew I was right. Carelessly calling somebody a SCAB ain't such a smart thing to do...

And by your own definition, the SWA guys may have "PIC time and a whole heap of hours" but they still paid for a type, therefore PFT'd and therefore are "scabs".

Or does that just apply to people that don't have an ATP yet?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back