Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UndauntedFlyer said:
As an American, "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it any more."

I'm with you on this. Tell all those rag heads to go to FRANCE for pilot training.

sky37d said:
Actually, it was more to represent the policies of countless nations around the world. Nations that found that unfettered immigration put their sovergnity at risk.

Just try immigrating to France, and see what you have to put up with. And, shockingly, they'd expect you to learn FRENCH, unlike the USA where everything has a spanish interpretation. Even the friggin cell phone says leave a message, then says do it in spanish.

silly me, here I thought those type of ideals were what makes America so GREAT. freedom to do, think, and speak what you want. to not learn english if you dont want to. whats wrong with a melting pot? It created this country in the first place. dont act like you are 100% native american

and it wasnt to represent the policies of countless nations around the world, it was made to represent the anti-immigration hysteria which was sweeping the country, as well as the KKK movement

UndauntedFlyer & the general anti-immigration attitudes,

I'm a would-be immigrant myself, but I kinda agree with you on your hatred against foreigners coming here illegally enjoying healthcare and services that american tax payers have to pay for. However, the problem is the principle of taking money from americans with government sanctioned force (tax), and redistributing it to "public goods" like healthcare. Such welfare systems can definitivly not work if the people recieving public goods are hated by the people paying for it, and economically speaking, it is unsound.

America is supposedly the land of the free, and it is totally unfair to discriminate against someone simply on the basis of where he was born. Anyone who whish to adopt the laws of the united states, pursue life, freedom and happiness and become an american, should have no problems doing so.

However the current immigration practices makes it almost impossible to immigrate legally without going through some severe trouble:

#1: marriage: the american spouse is required to sign affidavit support and take legal responsibility for the immigrant, which makes this difficult even for truly legitimate marriages. Minimum income requirements, and a very troublesome immigration procedure with a huge pile of paperwork and documentation required. Immigration officers takes turns at bashing the married couple.
#2: green card lottery: 50.000 people a year win, very small chances at actually winning.
#3: work visas. For pilots this is impossible. Its only possible with a few specialized professions in which the US are short in manpower.
#4: work while on student visas for other education. Possible. Its expensive though (like, you'll have to buy ERAU-education for $70,000 just to be in the country a few years). This does not give you permanent resident rights though, so even if such persons build FAA hours, they're still back in the foreign jungle after a few years.
#5: having one million dollar for investments in struggling american companies with more than 10 employees, or being an inventor, scientist, professional athlete or otherwise a person who will greatly benefit the american society. Likely impossible for pilots.

For people who are just as skilled in the american way of life as any other american, it doesnt seem just that a country built on the principle of equal rights, is so hard to enter legally. You're saying immigrants steal your work, and thats #1 warning sign that you're misinformed and committing a Fallacy. In a free market economy, all men are free to compete. Nobody have a right to a job. If you dont get hired over some foreign worker, its because you've priced yourself too high (or the government is doing unjustice with their laws..). The cheapest product/labor always wins. If you think you're better than the foreigner, i.e. provide a better service to the employer, lower costs, higher productivity, then you shouldn't have a problem. If the foreigner gets the job, he is better than you. Face it. Instead americans run to their government and make them aim their guns at the immigration workers, i.e. removing competition by force. That's the foundation of communism my friend.

You're opposing that children born in America should be given the right to live there. Yet its historically unlikely that yourself is anything but born by immigrants somewhere down the line. There is nothing objective by requiring X number of generations before you're considered non-immigrant-heritage. Born equal means that a child that is born, does not inherit the problems of his parents.

Legal immigrants are not elligible for any social welfare the first five years, and the free healthcare for illegal aliens that you mention, is the same free emergency healthcare given to poor americans. The additional expense for the illegal ones is in any case not all that huge amount of money - you're making a way to big a deal out of it, if this is your argument against immigration.

In my native country we have the same kind of public hatred against foreigners, but the real source of the problem is not the people coming to work (in fact, more workers in the market makes services cheaper, and improves the quality of life for everyone). The problem is the way the government handles them: giving them LOTS of welfare money even if there are plenty of jobs, and requiring employers to try to employ foreigners before they are allowed to hire natives. So while the hate is directed to the immigrants, the real source of our missatisfaction is the social system.

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4620 Nice little article :)

Spilot, where is your home country?

SPilot said:
UndauntedFlyer & the general anti-immigration attitudes,

However the current immigration practices makes it almost impossible to immigrate legally without going through some severe trouble:

#3: work visas. For pilots this is impossible. Its only possible with a few specialized professions in which the US are short in manpower.

If the foreigner gets the job, he is better than you. Face it. Instead americans run to their government and make them aim their guns at the immigration workers, i.e. removing competition by force. That's the foundation of communism my friend.

:)

Actually, many free-market societies employ government to protect their local economies. The French did it for their farmers. The Japanese do it with most things, as do many Asian countries. Try to get a job in China, if you want to fly. With as many unemployed, or poverty level pilots as we have, I would think that it is in our countries best interest to limit the number of pilots who come from other countries.

Spilot, where is your home country?

AeroMatt, Norway, among the richest countries in the world. So unlike the mexican immigrants, I'm taking several steps down by immigrating to US. All I wanna do is to fly, and so the money isnt really the issue. I could make tons of money in my home country, but not as an aviator. In the US there is less money, but more flying.

Latest resources

Back