• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Satellites

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have only ever seen one satellite. It never occured to me that you could, until one evening I was flying with a guy who asked me about it. I said "yeah right". So he explained what to look for and I was still dubious. A few minutes later, the conversation had drifted on to something else, and he said "well, there you go" and pointed towards the Northeast. And sure enough, there one was. Moving pretty quickly, like a distant airplane, but up way too high to be an airplane. Pretty neat stuff.

Once you know how to find satellites, you'll be amazed how many of them are visible every night!

The best time is the first hour after the very last light from the sun has faded. Find an area of the sky and focus your attention on a group of about ten stars. Just stare at them, and see if they are all remaining stationary with respect to eachother. If so, move on to another cluster. Pretty soon, you'll find a "star" that is moving through the others.

The problem with spotting satellites is that they don't move quickly enough to attract your attention. You need to actively look, but once you know how, you'll start seeing them everywhere!

Latest resources

Back