• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Satellite Airport Within Class C

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have posters in this thread wanting to re-educate ATC. We have you wanting to listen to traffic before departing, to the exclusion of lifting a finger to contact ATC before departure...before things get busier. We have the original poster who is too busy feeling wronged by getting good counsel from the controller to learn. We have a general theme that we have a poster who is in his legal right, so throw common sense to the wind.
And we have a poster who works really hard to goes out of his way to misconstrue what people are saying so he can... well, I'm not a psychologist or mind reader but maybe its to placate those little voices he hears that don't like anyone...

Chill out avbug. My original question was if I was interpreting the FAR's correctly. I had never taken off from a non-towered field within Class C before, but I knew what the FAR said to do, and I know what helicopter pilots do all the time when taking off from hospitals and such within Class C. And I think there's a distinction between doing what the FAR's actually tell you to do, and doing what the FAR's allow you to do. I was doing what the FAR's tell you to do: to contact the controlling facility as soon as practicable after departing. Now it's completely legal to fly in Class G with only 1 mile visibility, and it's legal to fly at a busy uncontrolled field without a radio, although I would not do that. That would be doing what the FAR's allow you to do.
My question was never one of safety. And it wasn't even about re-educating ATC. I did ask that controller what he wanted me to do since he seemed to be implying that I was breaking a FAR, and he told me. And since then, I have called the tower from the ground from that same field. And you know what every controller since then has told me (I've probably taken off 3 or 4 times since then)? They've told me to just give them a call when I get in the air. No sqawk code either. Controllers are all different. Some will have you do one thing while another freaks out. I'm fine with that...I use common sense and usually call ATC to let them know where I am even though I'm not in their airspace, especially if I'm near their arrivals or departures. Obviously traffic, weather, and the individual controller are all factors in this.
And if you somehow think it is unsafe to depart a private grass strip 4.5 NM from a quiet Class C airport with departures and arrivals no where near you, you must be scared to death to go to an uncontrolled field!
Throwing yourself in front of a semi because it's legal and departing an uncontrolled field within Class C with no traffic around is hardly the same.
I never said anything about re-educating ATC. I posted originally so I could be educated on the FAR's. However, in my opinion it was not at all a safety issue. That was what I was responding to. A lot of what we do is left up to the judgment of the PIC. In that situation, if there was traffic coming at me, I would have probably called the tower on the ground. Since there was none around, I didn't, but I will if I'm ever in that situation again. I'm learning and willing to listen to those with more experience.

Last edited:
I guess I'm with Avbug on this one: whether there is traffic or not, why wouldn't a pilot just go ahead and call ATC on the ground before takeoff? I'm not the greatest pilot, and getting one more "admin" item out of the way while I'm at 0 knots and 1G makes it easier for me to just focus on the flying once I am moving.
Yes, I have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time...

Latest resources

Back