Sat ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

Might be in SAT for a several hours, what is there to do? Preferably within a few miles of the airport ........and we need to drag my fo away from the burger joints, and find a decent restaurant........ again - near the airport.
THHAAANNNKKKKSSS!

ps what about that transportation museum, any airplanes there? Also - any av businesses on the field worth touring?

The Riverwalk is always the top destination, might be tight regarding time. Figure about three hours to drive downtown, park, look around, eat, and get back. Highly recomend "County Line BBQ" near the Hard Rock Cafe.

Closer to the airport is the Alamo Quarry with some good restraunts.

Transortation museum is a small Railroad museum north of the airport. not much to see there.

Not much on the airport, a nice pilot shop across from Landmark north (AKA Peidmont-Hawthorn)

Nothing much on the airport. Swearingen Aircraft on north side of field. A baseball equipment supplier named Baseball Express over there also.

Taco Cabana(really good Mexican fast food) is a couple of freeway exits east on I-410. Best chicken fried steak and onion rings in the world at DeWese's Tip Top Cafe at 2814 Fredericksburg Rd. two blocks south of Vance Jackson Rd. intersection. Been in business for about 70 years so they must be doing something right.

If there on a weekend you can get a rental car from Thrifty or Enterprise online for about $13 a day.

GravityHater said:
Searingen... do they mfg airplanes there? That would be a good tour if they do.

I believe 4 or 5 a/c in flight test. Think it was just certified.
Sino Swearingen Aircraft Co.
www.sj30jet.com

Last time I took the kids to Seaworld in SAT, I mosey'd over to the Pappadeaux's on the loop just south of the airport. The Pappas family of restuarants (Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, PappaMia, etc) are all highly recommended. If you make it downtown, try Mi Tierra, it ain't great but everyone should try it once.

Go to the Riverwalk--best Mexican food ANYWHERE!! Right near the Alamo too.

I was at Sino a few days ago. Nice folks, busy place.

Riverwalk is the place to go.

I could never figure out how Santa Ana managed to attack the Alamo through all that traffic...

If you want Mexican food, the riverwalk is not the place to go. Panchito's Restaurant. 4100 McCullough Ave. Close to the airport.

Another great restaurant that is a San Antonio institution is Earl Abel's at the corner of Hildebrand and Broadway since 1933. They are famous for southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy and homemade pies.

Sadly, it will close on March 15, 2006 to be replaced by a 25 story condominium building.

Latest resources

Back