Sat phones?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
www.cellphonehacks.com
This will give you the code you need to unlock your phone yourself. Also a lot of places like cell phone stands in malls will do it for $20-30. You can also buy an unlocked phone in europe, and most phones are light years ahead of what we get in the states.

Some cell phone companies will unlock your phone for free. Tmobile will unlock your phone if you've had it for 90 days and your account is in good standing.

Skype is a must if you carry a laptop. basically anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection (most hotel rooms these days) you can talk/look (webcam) for free. easy to set-up and with 'skype-out' calls are cheap.

www.skype.com

fareview

Skype is OK, but since they are now owned by eBay, I'm not such a big fan.

I use Yahoo Voice. It works the same as Skype, with everything computer to computer being free. Outgoing calls to 800 (toll free) numbers are free also. Outgoing calls to landlines are cheaper than Skype, 1 cent versus 2.31 cents, and Yahoo Voice doesn't charge extra to connect to mobile phones.

As a backup for those hotels that have no Internet access, or when I'm off line, I carry the Cingular (AT&T) 8525 mobile phone. Coverage is nearly global, and calls range from about $.99 to $1.69 per minute with the World Traveler roaming package. To reach me, my wife only needs to dial a local number, no codes etc.

Skype...I keep in touch for about $3.00 a monh

http://www.mobalrental.com/

I use Mobal for all my overseas company calls. I used to buy sim chips from all the various places I went. PITA and expensive, plus I couldn't itemize the calls for reimbursement. I had an unlocked phone and paid just 6.50 USD for the sim from Mobal. No plans, no fees, just charge the calls to my credit card as I use it, print out itemized call listings for my reimbursement. If I don't use it for 2-3 months, NBD, no charge.
It's a UK phone number, which the company doesn't hesitate to use, but friends at home think twice. (I use skype to keep in touch with them - you can even get a local phone number that family and friends can use to call you on Skype - just leave your computer on with Skype running and it will "ring" when you get an incoming call. You can even use a camera on each end for video conferencing with the family back home. Skype has a lot to offer.)
If you want to use a single phone and use it worldwide, I'd go T-mobile vice Singular. Singular will charge you even when you don't pick up the call overseas. (if they leave voicemail message) Most overseas companies, including Mobal, will not charge for incoming calls, hence the posts saying SMS text folks to call you back. I don't know about Yahoo Voice, but I don't have an axe to grind with EBay.
For me, it's Mobal.com for company calls and the occasional family call or emergency contact, plus Skype for family and personal stuff.
Good luck on the new job!
Waldo
BTW - Nice subject post! Good discussion here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back