Sanctuary and Retirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gwadwerc

For a Guardsman/REservist, is a 20 year "active duty" retirement?
20 yrs x 360 = 7200 points, or
20 yrs x 365 = 7300 points?

Whichever the correct answer is, how many points makes sanctuary?
18/20 years x 7200 = 6480 points, or
18/20 years x 7300 = 6570 points?

If you make it into sanctuary, are you involuntarily placed on 2 years of orders, or do you have the option to waive your right to sanctuary?

Many thanks!
-Gwadwerc

Sanctuary (both for the ADL and RASL) is based on the number of years of service. A service member reaches this point at the 18 year mark. As far as the Reserve component is concerned, this happens regardless of the amount of aggregate points earned. More to follow on this. Keep in mind that all of this is found in USC Title 10. The provision of the law allows the service member to retire even if he/she has been passed over for promotion beyond tenure requirements for the service in question until the individual is able to serve 20 years. There are waivers and other exemptions that the law addresses.

As a reservist, you need 50 points per anniversary year to count it as a good year. However, keep in mind that even if you earn the 50 points at the beginning of your anniversary year, you must be able to complete the "anniversary calendar year" to be able to count it. In other words, you technically have to meet both a calendar year time requirement and a points requirement. In most cases this is not a problem. However, it becomes an issue when someone is about to turn 60 and will not complete these "calendar years" to fulfill 20 total years, even though this individual has fulfilled his 50 points at the anniversary date.

To clarify, the anniversary date varies from person to person, but it’s usually the date you entered the service.

Hope this helps.

Keep Track

You also get a yearly score sheet to help you keep track of your points and good years. It is a good idea to continue drilling until you get the letter telling you are eligible for the age 60 reserve retirement and you select your retirment options. A. B. or C

Last edited:
I believe the answer you're looking for is the number of Active Duty points in order to qualify for an Active Duty sanctuary as a Reservist/Guardsman. Word in the squadron is that it's 18 years worth of AD points. In other words, once you reach that magic # of AD points you're put on AD orders until you get your twenty years of Active Duty. Your inactive points are then added to determine your retirement check. For instance if you have 365 inactive points (just to keep the math simple) added onto a 20 year AD retirement you'd be credited with 21 years. Next week I'll find out for certain what the numbers are.
I have been told of a couple guys who once they got within a certain # of AD points of sanctuary had some sort of red flag come up to prevent their getting orders. They were then activated for one of the desert forays and ended up getting their sanctuary.

Gwadwerc said:
For a Guardsman/REservist, is a 20 year "active duty" retirement?
20 yrs x 360 = 7200 points, or
20 yrs x 365 = 7300 points?

Whichever the correct answer is, how many points makes sanctuary?
18/20 years x 7200 = 6480 points, or
18/20 years x 7300 = 6570 points?

If you make it into sanctuary, are you involuntarily placed on 2 years of orders, or do you have the option to waive your right to sanctuary?

Many thanks!
-Gwadwerc

Gwad....

The year is based on 365 days, so your retirement is at 7300 points.....your sanctuary would occur at 6570 points......If you have orders that will send you into sanctuary, your guard/reserve employer MAY ask you to sign a waiver saying that you do not hold them accountable to take you to an active duty retirement....that does NOT mean that if, for whatever reason they can't get you to the retirement, that you can't take a 2 year assignment to get it back on active duty.

I am in the guard myself and have about 5 more years until a retirement and fully expect that, when I reach sanctuary, that I'll have to sign just such a waiver. Now, everyone that's gotten into sanctuary has gotten a retirement so don't freak out...it just protects the unit in case they start losing a lot of slots that they aren't handcuffed with guaranteeing jobs that no longer exist.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

NE

OK, I'm IN the sanctuary zone; currently have 6698 AD points.
I'm sure that other posters meant well, but they didn't necessarily give you correct information.

For an active duty retirement from the Guard or Reserve, you need a minimum of 20 x 365 1/4 pts = 7305 pts. That's AD (Active Duty!) points. Man day tours and annual tours count toward an active duty retirement. IDTs, ECIs, IDS, and MBR points don't count.
To be in the sanctuary zone, you need 18 x 365 1/4 ~ 6574 points.

Once you hit the sanctuary zone, it's very difficult to get man day orders unless you waive sanctuary. AFI 36-2131 spells out the sanctuary waiver process. http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/36/afi36-2131/afi36-2131.pdfb

I have no problem getting man days as an IMA as long as my paperwork is completed. Note that I can only be on orders for a maximum of 179 days (max AFI 36-2131 waiver) at a time until I reach 7305 points.
I switched from the Guard to an IMA position when I approached sanctuary; it's a LOT easier getting the waiver as a Reservist than with some (possibly many) Guard units.
And FWIW, I DO know someone who got an active duty retirement as a traditional reservist. He was a part time C-141 driver who got furloughed from TWA; just kept finding work & completing the waivers until he hit 20; AFAIK, he's still active in the reserves. And this brings up a very good point about invoking sanctuary (assuming your MPF screwed up & gave you orders that took you into sanctuary). If you invoke sanctuary, you're done at 7305 points. If you don't invoke sanctuary, you can continue past 20 yrs AD.

Note that 36-2131 is a bit out of date. I called someone at AFRC headquarters for the latest info.

Gwadwerk, I just noticed that you were in RC-135s. What years? Were you Rivet Joint or one of them Gucci boyz over in the 45th?

Andy said:
OK, I'm IN the sanctuary zone; currently have 6698 AD points.
I'm sure that other posters meant well, but they didn't necessarily give you correct information.

For an active duty retirement from the Guard or Reserve, you need a minimum of 20 x 365 1/4 pts = 7305 pts. That's AD (Active Duty!) points. Man day tours and annual tours count toward an active duty retirement. IDTs, ECIs, IDS, and MBR points don't count.
To be in the sanctuary zone, you need 18 x 365 1/4 ~ 6574 points.

Once you hit the sanctuary zone, it's very difficult to get man day orders unless you waive sanctuary. AFI 36-2131 spells out the sanctuary waiver process. http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/36/afi36-2131/afi36-2131.pdfb

I have no problem getting man days as an IMA as long as my paperwork is completed. Note that I can only be on orders for a maximum of 179 days (max AFI 36-2131 waiver) at a time until I reach 7305 points.
I switched from the Guard to an IMA position when I approached sanctuary; it's a LOT easier getting the waiver as a Reservist than with some (possibly many) Guard units.
And FWIW, I DO know someone who got an active duty retirement as a traditional reservist. He was a part time C-141 driver who got furloughed from TWA; just kept finding work & completing the waivers until he hit 20; AFAIK, he's still active in the reserves. And this brings up a very good point about invoking sanctuary (assuming your MPF screwed up & gave you orders that took you into sanctuary). If you invoke sanctuary, you're done at 7305 points. If you don't invoke sanctuary, you can continue past 20 yrs AD.

Note that 36-2131 is a bit out of date. I called someone at AFRC headquarters for the latest info.

We had a Nav that was mobilized for 2 years in Sept 01 - he claimed sanctuary during that time - they put him in the AD unit we associated with for the 14-16 months he had left - and deployed his butt over every holiday...then he retired and is making $ sitting on that same butt, instead of waiting until 60.

Thanks for all the insight

Unfortunately, I only have 4400 +/- AD points, so would take 8 solid years of AD to complete an immediate retirement. Only 5-1/2 years to mandatory retirement, unless of course I get promoted to O-6. :laugh: :rolleyes: So looks like I'll be able to pad my age 60 retirement quite a bit. And of course, I can keep pestering my senators and congressman to pass earlier retirements for Guard/Reserve. Not holding my breath under current budget pressures.
Godspeed to all,
Gwadwerc

Latest resources

Back