San Jose

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pokeymon

I may have an offer for a corporate job in the San Jose, CA area. Can anyone that's living/working there tell me what would be a minimum salary for a single person to be relatively comfortable there? Real Estate prices are out of control there!

Thanks

Do you want to live in San Jose or 2 hours away?

In the hood near the Navy and Marine Corp reserve center there is a nice little 30 year old bangalow, 2 bed, 1 bath at the bargan price of $699,000.

Completely out of control. Might want to wait a year or so and see if the housing market cools off and maybe even subsides some before you buy. The rest of the COL issues are pretty much in line with any major metro area with the exception of gas which is out of sight. I would guess a minimum of 150K a year would be needed to be able to purchase a home and live well. I know there will be those that say if you can't get by on 80K you must be doing something wrong, but getting by is not my idea of how to live a good life.

The nice thing about the Bay Area is the fact that traffic on the highways is always pretty light.... and never a problem finding a parking spot.
I'd go spend 2 days down there checking it out before you commit to the job.

Huggyu2 said:
The nice thing about the Bay Area is the fact that traffic on the highways is always pretty light.... and never a problem finding a parking spot.
I'd go spend 2 days down there checking it out before you commit to the job.

That's probably the only good thing that could be said about working in the bay area ... of course if you leave for work at 5:30am like I do and spend 12 hours at the job in Silicon Valley.

Let's see, median home price is around 600K, wage earners drive 4 hours a day roundtrip from 100 miles away so that they can live in affordable housing and earn a decent living, the military has shuttered their local facilities, tech companies are going into a slump and what once was an area for a great QOL is now sadly in need of some kind of secret sauce to revitalize it. And yes, some people still park their trucks on their front lawns here too.

But that's just me; rear-ended in traffic last year, broad-sided last week and car totaled by some FOB not insured. Well, you get my drift.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back