• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sallie Mae Doing its Part to Reduce the Glut of Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Their jobs only paid $25,000 - $30,000 to begin with. Even while working, they couldn't pay back the loans. It's sad how flying airplanes has become a minimum wage job with more and more well-paying jobs disappearing every day

Predatory lending, same as subprime. Maybe some liar loans involved, who knows...

If it ever gets to the point where the regionals are hiring 300hr pilots, they don't care if you've gone to a puppy mill or mom & pop school. If you have decent quality flight time, you'll get an interview. Save your money kids.

If it ever gets to the point where the regionals are hiring 300hr pilots, they don't care if you've gone to a puppy mill or mom & pop school. If you have decent quality flight time, you'll get an interview. Save your money kids.

Where were you a couple of years ago? Several RJ operators hadn't even required any minimum ME time, let alone TT. Haven't you come across this caliber of pilot? .... most must be on the street right now I'd imagine.

Where were you a couple of years ago? Several RJ operators hadn't even required any minimum ME time, let alone TT. Haven't you come across this caliber of pilot? .... most must be on the street right now I'd imagine.

RJ skipper flying with some of these low timers. Some did well. Some did not. It really came down to their attitude. My point was one shouldn't waste their money at these pilot mills because the only difference it will make is maybe a slightly higher senority number and a hellavalatta debt.

good maybe mesa and gojets will have trouble eventually filling their ranks.

Course then we'll here more foreign types over the radio- seems like both those airlines should have bilingual manuals.

There are so many experienced pilots out of work in the USA that if we didn't produce any new commercial pilots for the next five years nobody would even notice. It's going to take years to absorb all the pilots who have lost jobs and are looking for work back into the system. Maybe when retirements start again in 2013 it will make a difference but for now things look pretty grim. Any kid who is paying attention would have to be crazy to spend the money it takes to get into this profession today; commercial aviation just keeps contracting and the pile of unwanted pilots just keeps getting bigger.

There are so many experienced pilots out of work in the USA that if we didn't produce any new commercial pilots for the next five years nobody would even notice. It's going to take years to absorb all the pilots who have lost jobs and are looking for work back into the system. Maybe when retirements start again in 2013 it will make a difference but for now things look pretty grim. Any kid who is paying attention would have to be crazy to spend the money it takes to get into this profession today; commercial aviation just keeps contracting and the pile of unwanted pilots just keeps getting bigger.

People who go $100 grand in debt for a $20,000/year job are not exactly brilliant. Actually, they're morons. Kids will keep following their dreams into this profession thinking it will be different for them.

People who go $100 grand in debt for a $20,000/year job are not exactly brilliant. Actually, they're morons. Kids will keep following their dreams into this profession thinking it will be different for them.

Easy come, easy go.

I predict that these kids who dropped money on "fast-track" RJ bridge programs with low TT have most likely been furloughed by now. The tail end of the hiring spree brought in a lot of these types of pilots. No CFIing, no 135, just striaght to the flight deck with hardly any PIC oftheir own to speak of.

If they indeed have loans like this, they're going to have to find some means to pay back those loans. I just wonder how many will leave and never look back, finding a job outside of aviation and paying their bills while enjoying their life at HOME. ...ifthey can find a job in another sector.

Moms and dads.... start cleaning out those basements.

MPL will be a godsend to the regional airlines in the USA. MPL will allow a newhire to learn how to fly a 121 aircraft in real life scenarios while maintaining the current high level of safety because there will always be a qualified captain on every flight.

Latest resources

Back