• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sage Advice for Pilots...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simon Says - That's funny that you mentioned that! A friend of mine that works at a regional said he once flew with a captain that has narcolepsy (sp?) - the disorder where you suddenly and uncontrollably fall into deep sleep for short periods of time! The FA warned him about it before the flight, and sure enough he fell asleep during the flight. Now, I suppose this could be an exaggeration of the truth, but from the way he told the story I didn't doubt him one bit.

Anyone else hear of this?

Narcolepsy?????? I wonder if that is a disqualifing reason on the medical. There is nothing mentioned about it on the forms that you fill out. For every rumor ILLINI there is some sort of truth.

To add credibility to the story (possibly a different person)...Great Lakes did indeed have a captain who would fall asleep regularly. He didn't have narcolepsy...he was just old and tired. Father John had been a priest in a prior career until a nun strangley got pregnant and they both coincidentally left the church for a different "calling". There are numerous stories about Father but the best one is when he fell asleep on an ILS he was shooting to near minimums. The FO simply took over and landed. The FO was smart enough to wake him up before pulling into the gate. Father is now flying the 1900C model on the cargo side at Lakes. I assume he is a VERY laid back and relaxed guy in the cockpit. I bet Cornelius could shed even more light on this subject.

Latest resources

Back