Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Safety Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


Jan 24, 2002
I'm still working on my private pilot, but I find myself thinking ahead to my instrument training. Being the poor college kid that I am, I'm always looking to save money. So my question is, how much, if any, of my instrument training can be done with a safety pilot? I think I read somewhere that of the 40hrs., 20 of those (don't quote me) has to be with an CFII. Does that mean the other 20hrs. are open to safety pilots?? Also, being a safety pilot "can" be logged as PIC, right? Thanks in advance!!

Hey JoeC:

Any of your instrument training flight time that is not done with a CFII has to be done with a safety pilot since you're going to be "under the hood". This includes the cross country flights. The safety pilot can log the time as PIC. Some instructors will fly as a safety pilot for free, some will charge a smaller fee (they better give some good advice on the flight if they do). I think the best bet is to get a pilot friend that already has his/her instrument rating and get them to ride shotgun. Tell them you'll buy the hamburgers and cokes. They are getting to log time for free which is certainly better than paying for it but not as good as getting paid for it. :)

Yeah JoeC,

You can most certainly fly with a saftey pilot for most of your training. 15 hours of which have to be with CFII, and you have to do your big crosscountry with your II if its going to be IMC or on and IFR flight plan. My CFII required me to file IFR for my long Instrument cross country, so he had to be along instead of a saftey pilot.

Having said that 15 hours may or may not be enough. It all just depends on how often you are flying etc.. Your instrument skills deteriorate faster than anything else.

Find you a saftey pilot that has at least his/her private pilot certificate. Anything less than that is not approved. You might even be able to get them to chip in and pay for some of the cost because, you can do what is known as dual logging. Dual logging means that both pilots can log the PIC time, if the other pilot is certified in the same category and class aircraft to be flown.

My saftey pilots would log cross country flight time when I would fly because we were flying to an airport that was 64nm away. It all works out quite well and is cheaper.

Fly safe!
The long cross country has to be dual regardless of weather or if a flight plan was filed or not.

Latest resources