Safety Officials Target Culture of Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
God I think I'm falling in love with Ann Coulter.

:eek:
Wanna borrow my avatar, Ann would approve!

Later,
enigma

TonyC said:
Which strip mall?
The Medallion Foundation's sims are in the strip mall off of Lake Otis near Dowling. Right near the YMCA. Can't remember the name of the strip mall though...

Hey Mar,

After the last year at Warbelows, being in training down here in Phoenix is looking pretty good! Maybe you should do like I did: shave off the beard and give "fifi the french jet" a chance with AWA. ;)

Yes, I do miss the trees and (usually) clear air up there, but I'm not going to miss the -40 preflights! Enjoy!

HAL

Some of the best pilots that I have ever seen are flying in Alaska. Some of the worse pilots that I have ever seen are flying around airplanes for the major carriers. Usually the worse pilots try to hide behind procedures, callouts and all the stuff that makes things safe, but it is all just a fhasad and a cover up.The worse pilots become safety officers, some checkairman, and sim instructors. Sorry but that is just the way the industry works.

TurboS7 said:
Some of the best pilots that I have ever seen are flying in Alaska. Some of the worse pilots that I have ever seen are flying around airplanes for the major carriers. Usually the worse pilots try to hide behind procedures, callouts and all the stuff that makes things safe, but it is all just a fhasad and a cover up.The worse pilots become safety officers, some checkairman, and sim instructors. Sorry but that is just the way the industry works.
That reminds me of the old saying, "those who can't do, teach."

HAL, Turbo, FL000

HAL--How're things at Cactus in the Airbag, er--Scarebus, um--I meant Airbus.

Preflights at -40? That's what flight engineers are for!! (I've been one, I can say that!)

Turbo and FL000--I see your points. But I was a checkairman once (SA227). I'm not saying I had an agenda but if there was anything that I tried to accomplish it would be that I wanted to prove to the company that we could "get the job done" and follow the SOPs too.

Sometimes ya just gotta say no, but if everyone is participating and exchanging information and working towards the same goal you can get it all done and follow procedures too.

Too often in Alaska we get the sense that "those rules" don't apply to us just by simple virtue of the fact that we're in Alaska. True, there are many exceptions granted to Alaskan operators but for the most part (if attitudes would change) it is possible to run a real professional airline type operation up there.

Some people just don't want to change.

Best.

Latest resources

Back