Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
My thread on the Navion brought up an interesting question: what is the safest GA plane? Things to consider: stability, glide ratio, reliability, durability, climb rate, spin characteristics, vulnerability to fire, ease of escape from cabin, etc....

Safest GA Airplane

Just going by experience I would have to say your average C-172 is probably the safest GA aircraft out there. Heres why:

1.) Easy to fly, when I was instructing I had most students flying it to some extent of the first day.

2.) Good stall/spin characterisitcs: The plane DEFINITELY lets you know when it is about to stall, you get a pretty good buffet. The airplane is difficult to put into a spin unless you do something really stupid and generally even if you panic and let go of the controls it will come out of the spin (altitude permittting)

4.) Forgiving: I cant tell you how many times my students used to really try to crunch the thing in on landing. The oleo strut landing gear takes ALOT punishment and still comes back for more.

5.) Reliability: The Lycoming (Textron) engine is simple and in the 1200 hours or so that I have flow cessna I have rarely ever even heard it hiccup.

6.) Visibility: For light GA aircraft I really like high wings, though others will disagree. I think they are more stable in crosswinds and you get a much better view with the exception of certain climbs.

- Just my 2 cents.

Off the top of my head, I think the Spruce Goose is one of the few airplanes with a perfect safety record.

501261 said:
Off the top of my head, I think the Spruce Goose is one of the few airplanes with a perfect safety record.

I think in the literal sense you are correct along with several other rarely flown planes, but when you compare fleet hrs to fatality rates, nothing beats the 182.

Latest resources

Back