• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sabotage on the ATL ramp?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is as dangerous as someone trying to access the flight deck!!! These people need to be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

You are saying the entire ramp crew was so POed that nobody else spoke up that something was sticking out of both pitot tubes. That they were bold enough to do this on the ramp were god knows how many people would see them do this. Not to say that unbelievable crap is posted on this site but I would want see the pix of this or here about it on the company site from Les himself before I call this one fact. Most of the rampers wouldn't know what a PS/1 or PS/2 tube looked like or how to disable it. Most pobably don't even know that they are heated.

Latest info. The melted material was at first assumed to be from rubber gloves, but that is not confirmed. It might be from closed cell foam "grip" material from the bug wash ladders, or other unknown source.

If it was an accident, it sure seems odd that the ladder was placed in such a way as to come into contact with BOTH pitot tubes. Are the ladders tall enough? Do they have foam grip material on them? I've never noticed.

Maybe someone wearing workout gloves grabbed those convenient "handholds" on the side of the plane and left a coat of rubber on them?

Maybe we will hear something soon.

Last edited:
Uh, why were the probes on at the gate? Is that some special RJ kung-fu?

The probes are function of power configuration of the airplane, not of switch position.

Latest info. The melted material was at first assumed to be from rubber gloves, but that is not confirmed. It might be from closed cell foam "grip" material from the bug wash ladders, or other unknown source.

If it was an accident, it sure seems odd that the ladder was placed in such a way as to come into contact with BOTH pitot tubes. Are the ladders tall enough? Do they have foam grip material on them? I've never noticed.

Maybe someone wearing workout gloves grabbed those convenient "handholds" on the side of the plane and left a coat of rubber on them?

Maybe we will hear something soon.

yes, they do.

actually, it's a W.O.W. function (fail safe)...plus switch position....from one who has touched them on the ground when the switch is left ON

Ah! Well that won't be the last time I'm wrong on these forums. :) I would imagine the probe switches would have already been in the "ON" position by the time this occured anyways...although I'm not familiar with ASA's checklist.

Thanks for the refresher, haha... each day (and drink) that goes by I forget more about that plane.

Latest resources

Back