• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SAAB 340 vs. other regional props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
30 plus the extra private room/toilet in the back.

Agree with the poster that said the '41 was a good pilot plane, but not a pax-friendly invention.

Snaab said:
I fly the Saab and was curious how it compares to other regional turboprops in terms of.......

Just curious how my bird compares to the "competition." Discuss! Snaab

Dude who cares? How about in terms of PAY

Snaab said:
Get a life, Dash trash. You must a Riddle whiz kid and real joy to fly with.

Snaab

BTW, I've been on line for a while now.

No Riddle here! My post should have given that away! You aviation nerds wouldn't know Sarcasm if someone pulled it out of there pants and slapped you in the forehead with it!! IT WAS A FUNNY!!!! Now go put that airline uniform on, poke your chest out and tell everyone you make 16k a year!

Take this test to see if your a real airline pilot!!! LOL!!
http://www.winterrowd.com/maze.swf

Snaab said:
I fly the Saab and was curious how it compares to other regional turboprops in terms of performance, comfort, etc.

Snaab

No offense, but that's the loudest and most vibrating T-prop with a lav and FA I've been on. You should hand out earplugs and water & Tylenol. Brasilia and Dash's are quieter, then the ATR, and the Dornier 328 was truly The Quietest. Haven't ridden on the Q400.

Too bad Dornier went belly up, those airframes would still be flying if they hadn't. All of us who flew it loved it, although it wasn't perfect. It had sensitive brakes and a sucky ECS, and was over engineered, but had plenty of power for the Rockies, looked cool, was quieter than a few older jets (really) and had very low cabin vibration for a T-prop. Better brakes and ECS, an APU (in our birds) and getting rid of the laser IRU would've made them much better.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your ride, I'm sure it flies well.

Snaab said:
Btw, anyone on here every flown the Saab 2000??

I didn't fly the 2000 but I got to fly on a demo flight that Saab had for American Eagle back in the '90's. I was also part of the team that evaluated the performance capabilities of that plane. From the demo ride, I was impressed with the power, but then again, we were very light. I was particularly unimpressed with the active noise-cancelling system that Saab was so proud about. It didn't do much - you had to really concentrate to discern any sort of effect.

Overall, the 2000 had great performance, partially because it was a prop. I can recall one of the Eagle management pilots telling me that they could pretty much catch AA's F100's in climbs and descents. The biggest problem for the 2000 was that it had props at a time when all the regionals wanted "jets". Eagle's decision to not buy the 2000 pretty much sealed that plane's fate in the western hemisphere. I think about the only operator of 2000's in the US was Ford Motor Co.

Flew the Saab (A) and the Dash 200.

No comparison other than they are both airplanes. The dash is hands down the better product. Performance wise, it's very very clear. I have been limited to 12,000 on the east coast carrying 3/4 of the Capacity pax on the saab. DHC-8 - 37 PAX 45 Bags, blast out of KASE and climb to the flight levels at a constant 1000-1500 FPM. Great airplane. Plus you don't get those hung and hot starts that those aweful GEs are accustomed to. The CT-7 is a helicopter engine (Blackhawks I believe). It has no business on a plane. Whats up with the hydraulic system on the saab? Pathetic! 1 Electrically driven pump in the nosewell with 4 accumularors? Crap...

If the Saab had 2500 shp P&Ws on each wing, you'd have a pretty decent plane from a pilot's perspective. The prop sync is so bad - I've been sitting in the back and had drug-like experiences as waves of sound oscillated through the cabin. Novel for a minute, then you just want it to stop.

Dornier 328 is by far the best turboprop I've flown on as a passenger. Lots of room, little vibration, very fast. Who the hell flew them for US Airways Express? PSA?

Guitar Guy said:
Overall, the 2000 had great performance, partially because it was a prop. I can recall one of the Eagle management pilots telling me that they could pretty much catch AA's F100's in climbs and descents. The biggest problem for the 2000 was that it had props at a time when all the regionals wanted "jets". Eagle's decision to not buy the 2000 pretty much sealed that plane's fate in the western hemisphere. I think about the only operator of 2000's in the US was Ford Motor Co.

Actually it was General Motors that hat them, 3 to be exact. All were sold to and are currently operated by Hendric's motorsports. (Nascar team)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back