SAAB 340 vs. other regional props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snaab

I fly the Saab and was curious how it compares to other regional turboprops in terms of performance, comfort, etc. I've only been a PAX on the Dash-8 100/200/300 and Jetstream 41. From what I've read, the Dash Q400 and Saab 2000 seem to be cutting edge in the prop arena. Btw, anyone on here every flown the Saab 2000??

To me, the SF-340 is well-mannered, forgiving, and very stable. Power in the "B" is certainly adequate (but not ass-kicking), while I think think the "A" feels underpowered. Pitch and roll is stiff in the "B" but controls feel lighter in the "A." The Saab doesn't slow down quickly, especially with the slick Hamilton Standard props. As far as comfort goes, I think it's every bit as comfortable as a Dash and certainly more so than the J-bird. Noise in the Dash and Saab seem about the same in the cabin. The J-bird seemed cramped and loud, but felt fast.

Just curious how my bird compares to the "competition." Discuss!

Snaab

Last edited:
Snaab said:
I fly the Saab and was curious how it compares to other regional turboprops in terms of performance, comfort, etc. I've only been a PAX on the Dash-8 100/200/300 and Jetstream 41. From what I've read, the Dash Q400 and Saab 2000 seem to be cutting edge in the prop arena. Btw, anyone on here every flown the Saab 2000??

To me, the SF-340 is well-mannered, forgiving, and very stable. Power in the "B" is certainly adequate (but not ass-kicking), while I think think the "A" feels underpowered. Pitch and roll is stiff in the "B" but controls feel lighter in the "A." The Saab doesn't slow down quickly, especially with the slick Hamilton Standard props. As far as comfort goes, I think it's every bit as comfortable as a Dash and certainly more so than the J-bird. Noise in the Dash and Saab seem about the same in the cabin. The J-bird seemed cramped and loud, but felt fast.

Just curious how my bird compares to the "competition." Discuss!

Snaab

You gotta be a new hire, jeezzzz!! Who cares, if you pull back the houses get smaller.... push forward they get bigger!! Hmmmm and if you pull back and the house get smaller, and continue to pull back.... well you will soon see the houses getting bigger again at a faster rate.
That about sums up flying! If you grasp that concept all you folks are now pilots......

Flew the Junkstream and E120. Brasillia was hands down the better airplane in speed, comfort, altitude capability, noise, and handling. Have only ridden in the back of the SAAB. It has a touch more room back there but I am usually not a passenger. My seat up front was comfy. All I know about the SAAB is it was slow. Eagle guys used to call us the Enema 120 cause we were always up their a$$ following them. Used to take off after them and beat them to the same destination. Especially when the rudder limiter is deferred on the 340.

PacoPollo, WSurf: Give the guy a break. He asked a question, you guys ripped on him. This is an aviation fourm, either answer the questions or don't post.

You don't win awards for useless posts.

ImbracableCrunk said:
PacoPollo, WSurf: Give the guy a break. He asked a question, you guys ripped on him. This is an aviation fourm, either answer the questions or don't post.

You don't win awards for useless posts.

Thanks, If I need your advice I will give it too YOU!!!

PacoPollo said:
props are for boats. Fly an RJ thats a real plane!

I'd rather screw my way around than suck and blow my way around.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back