• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SAAB 2000 groundspeed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My record in the spicy Saab was 454kts one morning coming back from Rockford to DTW one winter. I saw the winds aloft and had to go up to 250.

Wow... M.60 in a Saab. Thats really impressive!

Lets start a new rumor that XJ is getting those, just for fun!

WMUSIGPI said:
Those are nice Saabs. Too bad the only 3 in the US are all used by Hendric Racing. The RJ fad killed the 2000 before it had a chance in this country

Nooooo kidding. Aggressive ramp presence. Fast. Suh-weet airplane.

WMUSIGPI said:
Those are nice Saabs. Too bad the only 3 in the US are all used by Hendric Racing. The RJ fad killed the 2000 before it had a chance in this country

I thought one of the auto manufacturers had some too. GM maybe?

Does this mean that soon the rumored 20 something SAAB 2000's "just waiting on (insert your current turboprop flying airlines name here) to be refurbed and delivered is going to happen??

And in another thought does this mean that the Hendrick Motorsports 2000 captains are going to be knighted as training captains since they are the only ones with the required experience in them?? I had a friend fly for a NASCAR team a couple of years ago, met a bunch of the crews at DAY when they flew in for the 500.......shine up yer boots boys it'll be a lot of fun.............

Hello,

Glad you guys enjoyed that site, I stumbled upon it by sheer luck when researching the SAAB 2000. Take a look at the site, and you'll find quite a few airplanes and their record-setting groundspeeds. These are obviously unofficial records, but do give you some bragging rights in the crewroom or local bar.
I am not very much in the know of what the latest goings on at CJC, but in talking with one of the mechanics the other night. He said that CJC's managment has a pending decision on the SAAB 2000 by the end of the month. What this will involve in the number of airplanes is not known, but to sweeten the deal SAAB has apparently proposed to pay for the improvements to meet US FAR standards for 121 operations. I don't know what this involves other than EGPWS/TAWS, TCAS II and required US safety standards for cabin furnishings and equipment.
At the earliest the SAAB 2000 won't be on the property for at least a year. Maintenance and training will take some time to stand-up, but CJC does have previous SAAB experience. I don't think that it will be a difficult transtion for either the flight crews or the mechanics to operate the SAAB 2000. I am interested to see, if they will have the HUD and pursue CAT II certification.
Colgan does have it's share of problems, but I think that the company is in a good position to be the "Chautaqua" of the turboprop world. The same market forces that caused the premature demise of the SAAB 2000 production line may very well make it a wise economic choice for codeshares. For trips under 300NM the 50-seat turboprop is the clear winner in every category given the current price of fuel and decline in yields by RJs.
And for those that are wondering, if I am sipping "Kool-Aid" at the local buffet. Nope, just stating what I see as a possible strategic plan for CJC. By being conservative in the past they have the good fortune to sieze an opportunity. Hopefully, sound judgement and business acumen will follow. It is going to be interesting to see what will transpire over the next couple of years here. As for me...Give me the "Mighty Beech" and the Blue Ridge mountains from 17,000' on a clear day.

Regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

"Beware of turkeys and deer on the runway"

650kts going ORD-HPN with a huge tailwind right up the pipe a few months ago - wish I had my camera... CRJ-200

Latest resources

Back