RyanAir Tail Strike DUB


Well-known member
Jun 6, 2006
Total Time
AIR accident investigators are to examine why the cabin of a Ryanair flight depressurised and oxygen masks deployed during what was supposedly a minor incident.
Officials from the Department of Transport's Air Accident Investigation Unit rushed to the scene following the emergency landing of flight FR208 at Dublin Airport yesterday after a protective cover on the aircraft's tail scraped the runway on take-off.
Some of the 148 terrified passengers on board claimed that a number of oxygen masks did not work when the cabin depressurised, with some people forced to swap seats to access the devices. Ryanair said all available oxygen masks deployed properly.
No structural damage was caused to the aircraft which will be flown to Stansted, London, later today, where it is due to be checked over by engineers.
"Tail-rubs" were "not unusual", one source said, adding that when such incidents occurred normal procedure was that the aircraft would return to the airport. The incident yesterday was not a "major one", they added.
"In the normal course of events, they (investigators) will check the aircraft and interview the crew about the deployment of oxygen masks," they said. "As a matter of course, if the oxygen masks are deployed, you have to find out why. If all of them hadn't deployed, the Air Accident Investigation officer will want to know why."
The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) would not give details of the investigation, saying they were examining an incident involving a Ryanair plane en route to Stansted airport from Dublin Airport. They were interviewing the crew, and had inspected the aircraft.
A full-scale emergency response was enacted by the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) when the flight touched down again at 11.40am.
In a statement, the airline confirmed that the protective tailskid of the aircraft touched the runway during take-off.
"As a precautionary measure, the aircraft returned with oxygen masks deployed and landed safely in Dublin. All 148 passengers disembarked normally and will be re-accommodated in the next two flights to London Stansted," it said.
"Please be advised that all oxygen masks were available to operate -- nothing abnormal (occurred). The pilot followed SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and conducted a controlled depressurisation of the aircraft and deployed oxygen masks."
This is not the first incident a Ryanair flight has been involved with this year.
Last March, an airliner skidded off the runway amid foul weather in the French city of Limoges. The jet, which was on flight from Brussels, overshot the end of the runway.
Last month, a Ryanair flight bound for Spain was forced to make an unscheduled landing following a loss of pressure in the cabin. Sixteen passengers were taken to hospital suffering ear problems after the incident, which involved a Boeing 737-800, the same aircraft involved in yesterday's incident.
But Ryanair last night insisted the fleet was "absolutely safe".