Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TAG2

Goldmember
I just want to confirm or correct my thoughts about training for RVSM. For 121/135 the regs state that initial and recurrent training is required to operate in RVSM airspace, although it doesn't really define "recurrent" i.e. every 6 mos., every 10 years etc.. I suppose the company ops specs would cover that. However, for Part 91 ops, I can't find a requirement for initial or recurrent training. All I find is that "the operator must provide evidence that each pilot has adequate knowledge of RVSM requirements, policies and procedures."

If I am understanding this correctly, a training center course would "provide evidence" enough to satisfy that requirement indefinitely without the need for recurrent training. Is this correct?

Hey TAG2,

I also fly part 91 corporate and our flight dept. has been looking into the requirements lately so we don't get hung out to dry when RVSM is implemented over the continental US. From what I've got all you need is a letter from the manufacturer stating that your aircraft is RVSM compliant and a letter stating that the crew is RVSM trained. The crew must be trained as a crew, and Flight safety offers this training in an international ops class. These two letters are then mialed to the FSDO and they will then send a LOA with some sort of secret code to use in a flight plan when operating in RVSM airspace. I'm going to the FSI class next month so I'll tell you more about it when I return if you like.

If your aircraft is not RVSM compliant then NBAA is advising people to not put it off. I spoke with someone from Simuflight the other day who said that the avionics people are saying that if every operator who needs the appropriate work done started today there will not be enough time to get everyone done before DRVSM is implemented. SO don't delay!!!!! She also said that Simuflight also offers a RVSM class as part of their alternative recurrent course. FSI only offers it in the International ops course only even if you don't operate international.

I spoke with a FAA dude on the ramp at FDK a couple of weeks ago who said that he is the man in charge of implementing DRVSM and the target date is DEC '03. I operate a BE400A and he wanted to get some info on fuel and speeds at higher flight levels for his planning.

Hope this rambling helps and if I can be of any more help let me know......... DJ

RVSM courses at FSI

FSI only offers it in the International ops course only even if you don't operate international.

This is not true. You can have RVSM added to a Initial or a recurrent as needed. As far as it only being taught in an international course, this isn't untrue; but why would you want RVSM with out the rest of the course?

In the not to distent future RVSM will be over the US; at that point I'm willing to bet EVEYONE will offer an FAA approved RVSM course.

Keep in mind that ICAO requires 2 type rated pilot on international flights to contracting countries and that may leave you out to dry befor RVSM will.

>...send a LOA with some sort of secret code to use in a flight plan when operating in RVSM airspace...<

There isn't a "secret code" for flight plans. On an ICAO flight plan there is a letter defining RVSM compliant (don't remember what the letter is off the top of my head). Also on an ICAO flight plans there are codes for survival equipment, 8.33 spacing capable and so on.

FSI offers an RVSM course in their international procedures course. While I don't know how often it's "required" to take this course, they say your should do it every two years since thats usually how long your FAA LOA is current.

I feel even if you do several international trips a year or just one it's a good idea to attend an int'l procedures recurrent at least once every two years. It will keep you on top of all that is required while flying in special use airspace and what procedures might have changed, not to mention refreshing your emergency procedures.

My $0.02

Regards
2000Flyer

I may be wrong here but....
I believe after your A/C gets RVSM certified, and frequently during its first crossing, you may be asked by Gander if its RVSM compliant, you of course say YES and then they dont ask again, they do , however, keep this database and get conformation letters of all RVSM compliant A/C....
Just what I heard....And was asked myself in a new plane going out over Gander...
I beleive it was all covered in FSI initial intl' ops...if I could only remember...

I have never had Gander or Shanwick ask if I'm RVSM compliant. On your ICAO flight plan, block 10 I think, is the letter "W" indicating you are RVSM compliant. The only compliance question I've ever been asked was by a controller in Europe on abilility to use 8.33 spacing frequencies.

In our European J-Aid, Euro-controllers can and may ask if you're RVSM compliant to which you reply "Affirm RVSM". But as I said earlier, I have never been asked personally.

Regards,
2000Flyer

yeah we only got asked if the A/C was compliant....this was in a Galaxy (G200)...maybe they didnt know what they were yet.new airplane model...other G200 operators had the same. Gander said now they would have that on record (?)
Never got asked in Europe though.

I did 5 crossings this month and was asked once "confirm rvsm"; however have routinely been asked this over Italy, Portugal and every time over Turkey.

Latest resources

Back