• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rvr Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like hes preparing for an interview...

First...remember, there are not take off mins for part 91.

However, with part 121 there is supplemental, domestic and flag. Those 3 operations are all pretty much the same however if your going to an interview for a regional airline then the regs will be for a domestic carrier probably so that is what i will explain.

- Can we depart, refering to the 10-9 diagram?
As stated above, every company has there operation specifications (ops specs). Those are the rules you follow, obviously along with the FAA regs however your company operates under the ops specs and are approved for whatever those say. So can you depart? Maybe, if the vis is greater then 1 mile for 1 and 2 engine aircraft and 1/2 mile in a 3 and 4 engine aircraft then you can take off (thats the FAA reg). Any lower then that depends on your ops specs. Most company are approved for lower then standard take off mins (found on the 10-9).

-How do you know? You look in your companys ops specs...read take off minimums and you will find out. Also have to know the current weather at the airport you are taking off from.

-6-6-6 take off? Depends on ops specs, say your company is approved for them. You will need RCL (runway centerline lights) AND RCLM (runway centerline markings). Notice on the 10-9 it says you will need this equipment IF the runway is approved for a 6-6-6 take off. If you have 6-6-5 you may not take off because the 666 is the MINIMUM. However if one of the RVR's is out other then the touch down rvr you can still go. Such as, 6-mid not reported-6 you can still go. If its reported 5-6-6 you cant go. Remember, if you do take off 666 you will need a take off alternate, within 1 hour flight time, in still air at cruise with one engine inop.

-Why would you need the t/o alternate? Because the weather is below landing mins so if you have to come back for any reason you cant even shoot the approach.....therfor a t/o alternate.

-If it drops below 6-6-6? See above, you cant go.

-What if an RVR value isn’t reported But the others are 6 and 6, can we depart? How do you know? RVR is runway specific, if you read rvr off another runway you cannot use that info for a different runway. If RVR isnt reported then you have to have adaquate visual reference if its aproved on the 10-9 and ops specs.

-How do you know? Ops spec, and reported weather in the METAR...

edit-
*If i have anything wrong im sorry, please correct me. These are the basics of how i understand the rules.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back