• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PC12Cowboy

Berry Beery Bad
So your inside the FAF and the tower reports RVR 2000 but 2400 is required,
you can continue the approach....but ..............Can you lagelly land....will the tower clear you to land and wil you get busted for lading???
I know my fellow posters do this real time everyday...so insights would be great...but I had a FAA examiner tell me that is a bust!
So I look forward to starting a great discussion on this matter....
Thanks
PC12Cowboy

PC12Cowboy said:
So your inside the FAF and the tower reports RVR 2000 but 2400 is required,
you can continue the approach....but ..............Can you lagelly land....will the tower clear you to land and wil you get busted for lading???
I know my fellow posters do this real time everyday...so insights would be great...but I had a FAA examiner tell me that is a bust!
So I look forward to starting a great discussion on this matter....
Thanks
PC12Cowboy

For Part 91 operations, flight visibility is controlling, despite the presense of RVR. I am not sure about 121 or 135 though. Tower will clear you to land no matter what the weather is and you probably won't get busted if you claim that the flight visibility was above minimums. However the FAA or the NTSB may use the RVR to determine what the flight visibility was.

Ya, I had examiner ask me this exact question. Reprted GROUND vis is less tha req. part 91 can you go? I said yes, but I wouldn't bet on landing and that I wouldn't bet my life. He said, prove it, so we looked it up. He said "See! You can, but I wouldn't do it ith my kids on the plane." The flight vis is the only controling factor...

SiuDude said:
Tower will clear you to land no matter what the weather is and you probably won't get busted if you claim that the flight visibility was above minimums.
This is where it's VERY IMPORTANT to know exactly the right answer to give when asked!

RVR below

Under 135 if you've passed the FAF / GS intercept at the initial altitude, and then it drops below the required for the approach. You can continue and take a look. But, the required visual references still need to be there and the correct answer if anyone asked is "I had the required flight visibility"

Take care,

Shawn

Do you have the RWY environment in sight and safe position to land at the DA/DH/MAP????? Yes...Land...No...execute missed approach.

Most Ops Specs allow you to continue once inside the marker. At DA if you have the proper items insight then you may land. While RVR is a good measure of "ground vis" it is inflight visibility that will allow you to be legal and land.

But again, check your ops specs.

91, yes you can continue. 135/121, yes you can continue unless there is something in your company manual or op specs that disallows it. Exception for 91/135/121, some foreign countries don't allow "look-see" approaches meaning that you cannot continue the approach if, at any point, the reported wx goes below mins. In this case, it doesn't matter what part you're operating under, you have to comply with their state rules.

It is common for Flight Visiblility to differ wildly from the reported touchdown RVR. Example: MIFG. Flight visibility is controlling for Part 121.

Here's one for you:
On the descent 80NM away from our destination. Several aircraft (121) are holding at the marker already. Reported visibility is measured 1/4 mile, landing runway RVR 2400. Airport diagram shows RVR installed on the landing runway, but the approach chart only shows visibility minima of 1/2 mi.
We wondered if we could use a higher RVR equivalent to start the approach, even though RVR minimums were not published. Southwest wouldn't start the approach, so we figured that was controlling! :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back