rv6a

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

macfly

Im looking into buying my first airplane and after doing a bit of research I have decided to purchase a RV6a. I was wondering if anyone had any experience building one or buying one already flying. Every one that I've talked to say they are incredible flying machines and are relatively easy to tool on. I am looking at buying one that is already flying. I am not a mechanic, nor do I want to spend the next few years trying to build one. I built a doghouse once and it wasnt pretty.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated...

DO IT! I built a 6 while on furlough and now have around 30 hours on it. They are great flying airplanes. I have 0320 fixed and get 155kts on 8GPH

Don't discount an RV-6. Easier maintenance, and they are very docile taildraggers. An RV-6 is more forgiving than my Cessna 140. I built an RV-6A, and if I were to do it again, it would be a taildragger. They look much cooler on the ground, too. Flying characteristics are obviously the same, just takes some getting used to when landing in a crosswind. They've got pretty good rudder authority, too.

I built a -6A because I wasn't tailwheel endorsed. There are specific programs out there from Nationair for RV's. There are so many flying, that the insurance companies have recognized the quality of airplanes that they are. Insurance premiums really are not that much different. You can go get your tailwheel endorsement, get 10 hours or so, and not pay that much more. In the scope of a $60,000 airplane, a couple hundred a year for a taildragger isn't a big deal. If you can afford the airplane, you can afford the difference in the premium.

I just think they are meant to be taildraggers. They look better, are easier to work on, etc.

weekendwarrior said:
If you can afford the airplane, you can afford the difference in the premium.
That's a big if that you're making there. Most people can't afford their car, let alone a plane, house...

But I agree they do look better as taildragger. If I were to build one, I'd build it as a taildragger because I like landings. The more challenging, the better.

Latest resources

Back