Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
How would you know if a runway surface were grooved or not??
Apparently asked this question and I was told the information is depicted on Jepp Charts....Help?

Take a look at the Airport Facility Directory.

It has all the information you need to know about a given runway. The legend explains it all.

dueguard,

The info you seek is located on the back of the airport diagram page on the Jepp charts. It is on the line that describes the lighting for each runway and the landing distances available if you land at the threshold or at the glideslope point of intersect with the pavement.

Hope this helps.

A grooved runway has channels that make up a sort of small grid on the surface to drain water away as quickly as possible. This has the effect of making the coefficient of friction between the tires and the pavement on a wet grooved runway as great as possible during/after rain (much improved compared to a runway that is not grooved). There was a good article about this is in a recent Business and Commercial Aviation magazine if you can get your hands on that. (It had a helicopter on the cover if I remember correctly)

Anyone know if the A/FD is online yet? I know AirNav.com is a great source of info, but looking for something more official. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back