• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

guido411

ShesGoneFromSucktoBLOW!!
It sucks to admit I don't know the exact answer here but:

When, if ever, are runway lights required for a night takeoff under Part 91?

I remember in Part 135 you can't takeoff at night without runway lights on passenger flights but you could flying cargo. I can't find reference to it in Part 91. Who can clear this up?

What about landing without runway lights Part 91?

I remember in Part 135 you can't takeoff at night without runway lights on passenger flights but you could flying cargo. I can't find reference to it in Part 91. Who can clear this up?

I don't think runway lights are required for Part 91 ops, but I believe the;re required for all Part 135 ops.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

91.13 is a lame catch all reg that the FAA uses to violate people when they've had an incident/accident. I'm looking for a specific reg (if it exists) that says you can't do it. I don't think the FAA can violate you for doing it if nothing goes wrong.

One might argue that on a clear night with no runway lights your visibility is greater than daytime RVR 600 which is legal for most 135 ops.

why would you want to do this ?? is it worth the risk.

As Pilots risk assessment is one big consideration we all have to do constantly, and just the thought of this makes me wonder why you would even consider it in any operation other than a 2012 movie type disaster happening and you really want to get airborne!!

Can anyone say adiquit visual reference?
flame me for spelling and I will cry to mommy

Can I take this thread a different direction?

When cleared to position and hold (line up and wait for you international types) do you illuminate your forward looking lights? I hope not. So many times I've been cleared to cross with the comment that traffic on the runway is holding, only to look that way and see lots of lights. Now I know that ATC never makes mistakes. And I know you with all the lights on are not starting a takeoff roll..... But... Would it not be better if we all just held off on illuminating those forward looking lights till a takeoff clearance is received?

What do you think?

...total thread-jacking - There is an old thread on this isssue somewhere....

(I use TAXI/RECOG lights anytime I am moving and LANDING lights once cleared for take-off... most people don't know the difference on a Citation Bravo between TAXI/RECOG + LANDING Lights but I turn them off once in position. I do use TAXI lights while moving into position... I guess I get excited to move switches in a realitively low work-load aircraft.

Latest resources

Back