• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
Aircraft performance interpolation

Just wondering if anyone out there has something like an Excel spreadsheet for this? And if so, would they (you) be willing to share it with me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Interpolation or incursion??

Or even better, maybe it's like there's a runway 18 and runway 36... so, fly a heading of 270 or 90 and land perpendicular in the middle? Kinda like that corny old joke..."wow, Bob, what a short runway!" "I know, but look at how wide it is!"

MFR

Duh, I posted that wrong. :)

What I am looking for is something for take-off and landing data. You know, the info you get in the AFM. I'm just wondering if anyone has something so I can plug in the numbers and have it spit out the info for me, as opposed to busting out the pen and paper.

First..... it might be a good idea to be a little more aircraft specific. (since you might get different numbers for different airplanes, just an idea!)

Second..... unless it's directly from an airplane manufacturer or approved by such, WHY would you put your health and the safty of others in the hands of some other "dude" that is just too lazy to do it the manual way.

I know a 172 will just about land/take off "anywhere", but there are days and places when you might want to take this taking off and landing "thing" a little more serious.

Anyway..... it is that hard to do it out of the POH?

Take care and be carefull!

If you're looking for takeoff and landing performance numbers then what you are looking for is called ultranav. it's made for specific airplanes. google ultranav. i think they're in texas.

Getting in the habit of calculating runway and aircraft performance for every takeoff and landing is good policy no matter what you fly.

If I'm in an aircraft that uses set numbers (as opposed to a chart), such as tabulated data, I usually don't try to interpolate between the numbers. I take the next highest number and go with that. If, for example, numbers are published for slightly above and below my takeoff weight, I take the most adversarial numbers and go with those. That my performance might be a little better is just fine, but I'll take the longer runway numbers and the lower climb gradient information. If I can do better, great...but if I can't, then I've already taken that into account. Trying to split hairs down to the foot is assuming that you really can do exactly what the chart says.

In a Part 25 airplane, this should be the case, but in all cases, if you're calculating performance, adding a margin for safety on top of what the charts tell you is never a bad idea. If you're located where you're right on the margin of being unable to go, it's time to consider offloading cargo or fuel.

That soapbox aside, get in the habit of pulling out your data and doing it yourself, rather than just letting the machine find it for you.

Latest resources

Back