• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Runway heading

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They said that the obstruction clearance and departure setup at the airport, for each runway, is based on flying over the departure end of the runway and beyond on centerline.
Here's the key: All the departure profiles are beginning at the departure end of the runway, at 35 feet above the departure end. That's the beginning point from which to measure.

How can you have a specific measuring point if it begins "where ever you rotate". ??

Back to basics: We are all taught to maintain runway centerline after rotation and during initial climbout. As long as runway remains visible and available, you should be directly above the runway in case of engine failure.

If there is a significant cross-wind, enough to seriously cause a dangerous side drift, the ceiling is not likely to be less than 400 feet, nor vis less than 1 mile, so the departure is very likely to have runway visual after liftoff and approaching departure end where a heading is safe and where ATC intends it to be.

Hi!

I was just reading about ODPs and SIDs the other day-thanx for the info!

In the plane I fly now, it doesn't matter because of the performance, but if I rent a 172 or something I'll do the ODP/SID and be covered.

cliff
LRD

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back