Runway Dept during certain IMC conditions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

indefinitehold

Can any of you valued and appreciated ATC types answer a question for me?

I am curious to the legality, or the rules regarding runway takeoff clearance from the displaced threshold and not the beginning of the runway. My question has to do with what you can see regarding the runway environment.

In low visibility you would not see any runway environment (C.L.) until the beginning of the runway after the displaced threshold. You may see red runway lights indicating the last 1000’ from the other direction. Taking off into red lights is not kosher! Are there rules for such a scenario? Are they certain requirements for runway lighting in this case? Can you direct me or quote any regulations regarding my above scenario?

A pilot...Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you sir, is there any critera or an airport document stating that the lighting has to be omi directional on that portion of the runway?

thanks again

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking...

Is your scenario based on starting a takeoff roll in a displaced threshold (DT)under low vis?
In that case, you either do or do not have centerline lighting(CL).

If you don't have CL in the DT, you have to apply the values for "adequate visual reference ie. centerline markings only (Usually 1200 RVR, but don't quote me), even if the remainder of runway has CL.
If you have CL in the DT, you can of course apply those values on the back of the 10-9 page, and (ops specs permitting), go down to as low as 600-600-600 RVR..

If that is not the answer you seek, please rephrase the question...

P.S. The "C" in IMC is "Conditions"

It is redundant to type "IMC Conditions"

I believe I understand from whence you speak in that a lower than standard take-off requirement of many operations specifications state Centerline Lighting installed and operable as a requirement for the procedure.

If you began a departure from the displaced threshhold and departed the runway an investigation would reveal by your testimony you did not meet the requirements for the procedure unless your statements included, "I/we taxied down the runway past the length of the displaced threshhold, then aligned with the C.L. before beginning the take-off roll." Also, supporting statements that, "we considered only that portion of the runway equipped with C.L. when calculating our required go-no go distances", is a very good idea as well.

Hope that helps.

100-1/2

Latest resources

Back