Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JumpJetter

Basking in LUV!
My company was nice enough to get us ARINC Direct for flight planning. One useful feature they have added to their website is "Runway Analysis", which I find to be extremely useful to determine my max takeoff weight in the event of an engine failure, it's IFR, and I know I will not be able to fly the assigned SID or ODP due to excessive climb gradients. In the event there are multiple obstructions, the runway analysis will give a "Special Departure Proceedure" or "Escape Manuever."

My question is; Do I need something stated in my OPSPECs to fly one of these proceedures in an emergency?

My thought is this;
  1. All weights and limitations calculated by the Runway Analysis is based solely on AFM data....so that is legal. I could do the same thing with a calculator and a pad a paper, it would just take for ever.
  2. If I have an engine failure, it's an emergency, so as the PIC, if I choose to fly a "Special Departure Proceedure" I'm totally within my purvue to do so, regardless of OPSPECs.
  3. As Lead Sled has pointed out, SIDs/DPs are meant to be flown on 2 engines (here we go!), the AIM alludes to this in 5-2-6(e)(4) when stating the responsibilities of the pilot when flying a SID/DP:
    1. "Consider the effect of degraded climb performance and the actions to take in the event of an engine loss during the departure." - based on that statement it clearly infers you plan to accept a SID based on 2 engine performance, and you as the PIC need to "have a plan" in the "event of an engine loss." In my mind the plan is to fly the "Special Departure Proceedure".
So where have I gone wrong?

Oh yeah...I'm Part 135

Our company just started using Arinc Direct as well. I asked our POI regarding the "Special Procedures", and if we needed them in our Ops Specs. He said that they the company does not need Ops Specs for them, but he wanted to see some training (ground and sim). To use these there needs to be good SOP's in place, how to program the escape route etc.

JumpJetter- Good job digging into the runway analysis data. I'm surprised how few pilots even know what it is. Rule #1: In an emergency, forget the SID and do whatever it takes to get the A/C to a safe place.

As far as OpSpecs you want to be clear on whether the analysis is "required" anytime the weather is below "see and avoid" minimums.

Example: Most charter companies I'm familiar with don't have any requirements for "Runway Analysis". It's up to the PIC to decide if he needs it on a particular day (usually ordered from Jep and faxed to the FBO).
However, I was doing contract work for a 135 operator where the OpSpecs required a Runway Analysis chart anytime the weather was below VFR minimums. This turned into a bit of a hassle on quick turns at airports where single engine performance wasn't as critical; i.e, light weight, flat terrain and big runways.

While we're on the subject...

Next time you're at recurrent, see if you can fly some of the emergency escape procedures in the sim. I started requesting it at our last recurrent and the sim instructor said it was the first time anyone had asked. We got to spend some time on the KASE escape. Good stuff.

Analysis

What is the cost of that service? Is there a web link I could look at to get more info?
Thanks

If you subscribe to Arinc Direct flight planning, the runway analysis is included with that service, or you can purchase it from Aircraft Performance Group, www.apg.com

When you run a flight plan, the runway analysis will compute in seconds, it includes escape routes, different flap settings, contaminated runway data (wet, 1/8, 1/4 and compacted snow).

This data makes everything black and white, you know exactly what you can and cannot do, and in my opinion is the only way to go with a part 25 aircraft, 135 or not.

that's great! I came from a 121 background to FLOPS and when I asked what the escape manuever was at EGE, it was "don't hit Mt Snow."

I'll have to see if my new guy will let us have this here deal...

That's exactly how I got hooked on this RW Analysis. I came from some 121 turboprop background and we would have never got out of a lot of SOCAL airports with out it (BUR/SMX/SLO)

HMR said:
JumpJetter- Good job digging into the runway analysis data. I'm surprised how few pilots even know what it is. Rule #1: In an emergency, forget the SID and do whatever it takes to get the A/C to a safe place.
Don't "drop the airplane to fly the radio", but tell ATC ASAP because they are expecting you to fly the SID. A TA/RA would really complicate an EO emergency.

Latest resources

Back