Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
(3/17/03) Washington, D. C. – Donald Rumsfeld announced today that the Department of Defense has been renamed the War Department by executive order of President Bush. In 1946, the United States Congress changed the name of the War Department to the Department of Defense to reflect the containment strategies of the post World War II Truman Doctrine. “It was a different world in 1946,” Rumsfeld stated, “I think now Americans realize that a mistake was made by signaling to our enemies that we lacked initiative.” He added, “To always assume a defensive posture is to drastically limit our options in the post-9/11 environment.” Rumsfeld’s title was also changed to reflect the shift in strategy to Secretary of War. “At first I thought we should firm that up a bit,” Rumsfeld quipped with reporters, “Secretary sounded like a title for a Hilary Clinton type.” Further adding, to the howl of the Pentagon press corps, “I mean would you rather be led to war by a secretary, or a czar or something like that? But in the end, I agreed with conserving the tradition of the Department, so I will become the first Secretary of War since Henry Stimson.”
Under the new designation, Paul Wolfowitz, the former Deputy Secretary of Defense, will assume the new title of Director of Strategic Initiative, tasked with identifying new sources of concern and allocating War Department resources. When asked about the new position in the Department, Secretary Rumsfeld responded, “Mr. Wolfowitz has proven himself to be a capable and persuasive voice of direction in our Department. This new title will afford him the authority to act on his greatest strength, which is the ability to identify our enemies sooner than anyone else in the Administration. His proven zeal in dealing with our enemies, both foreign and domestic, is being rewarded with this greater authority. He will still report to me, but has been given greater autonomy by this executive order.” When asked if the Director of Strategic Initiative would have the authority to order military operations, Secretary Rumsfeld commented, “That is a more of a targeting or command and control type question you’re getting into there, and that is not the type of information we provide during times of war. The War on Terror continues today, it will continue tomorrow, and it will continue in the future.”

Source please, as I understand it, it's an unwritten rule of the internet, please post the link.

This appears to be an Onion story, but it's not Wednesday when the normally update.

Baloney

There was a War Department until 1947. You had the Secretary of War and Secretary of the Navy. Both were part of the Executive Department until creation of the Defense Department, which unified the armed forces. Here's a piece about it from MSN Encarta.

We have TV news going in our house after the President's speech and there was no mention of a purported War Department. Moreover, it would require an act of Congress to change the name of an Executive branch department.

Someone's pulling your leg, my friend.

Last edited:
Re: Baloney

bobbysamd said:
Moreover, it would require an act of Congress to change the name of an Executive branch department.

Someone's pulling your leg, my friend.

Bobby,

The message is obviously a farse, but I also would not put too much faith in "acts of Congress". Congress is also supposed to be the government agency that delares war. Of course, that's only the Constitution. If Congress can ignore that and abidicate its responsibility, name changes wouldn't be a problem.

Rumsfeld and his side kick, would undoubtedly enjoy that. So would President Cheney. Oh, excuse me, Vice President Cheney.

PS. Pray for our troops, our country and the innocent Iraqis children.

PS 2. I enjoy your posts. Wish you could get out of paralegal and back into what you obviously love.

Baloney

surplus1 said:
PS 2. I enjoy your posts. Wish you could get out of paralegal and back into what you obviously love.
Thank you. Is that flying airplanes or spending hours reading and writing posts?

I get the two confused sometimes. ;)

Re: Baloney

bobbysamd said:
Thank you. Is that flying airplanes or spending hours reading and writing posts?

I get the two confused sometimes. ;)

It's flying airplanes ...... I think you knew that. :D

Re: Re: Baloney

surplus1 said:
It's flying airplanes ...... I think you knew that. :D
I did. :D

Maybe someday, though spending $150/hr. for a 172 dual is pricey. That is three times what I paid when I was a student twenty-one years ago. I'd need at least a few hours, probably more, to convince someone to sign off a flight review. And we haven't even discussed comp check (IPC) yet. And getting back my CFI . . . . . . . . <sigh>

Once more, thanks for your kind thoughts.

Ok, Bobby got me. I should have done my research a little more carefully. Answer is, I wrote it. I thought it was dripping with enough sarcasm that nobody would buy it. It came out of an idea that popped in my head that I bounced off a friend. Wouldn't it be funny if the onion did a story on... He said I should write it myself.
I just couldn't resist posting it up here...

All this reserve as a commuter has turned me into a flightinfo.com junkie.

I thought that was pretty d*mn funny. I was thinking you got it from The Onion or something like that. You should be writing for them, screw the flying thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back