Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Rumor alert!

I was talking to some Skywest crew members at SFO today and heard that Skywest MIGHT (emphasis on MIGHT) get some used 737-300's (or -500's) from United and use them on negotiated United routes on behalf of United Express. The crew was pretty certain about the rumor and evidently it originated from Brad Holt (the VP of Flt Ops). I can't confirm it...

So, what do you think - could this be a legit rumor? Do you think United furloughees would be flying these 733s as FOs? They supposedly have that arrangement for the future 70 seaters - J4J....

Any comments? Would the UAL pilot union allow this outsourcing with so many furloughed pilots?

Don't see that one happening any time soon. If they wanted more capacity I could see them getting the CRJ700 or the EMB190 or something if it could be negotiated, but 737's come on now, you did'nt bite at that hook did you, it is obvious that this skywest pilot you talked to did bite. Maybe the 737 B.S. was what persuaded him/her to sign off on the new contract.

Listen, I am not an idiot. I know when people are kidding me. This crew actually thought it was legit. I was just asking people on this forum if they had heard the same. Maybe United is trying to get rid of some of their 737-500's and maybe the could strike a deal with Skywest. They have already signed off on an insane deal with their management, and that called for possible planes with up to 158 (or so) seats possible. And, I stated in the beginning that this was a rumor.

There goes the professions if this is true. I don't believe it, but if this happens, you guys just screwed everyone in the industry.

Heavy Set:

The pilot contract at UAL, the new one, does not allow any commuter to fly greater than 70 seats. Their is also a max weight restriction on the aircraft that they can fly. I believe its around 85000lbs. Don't recall exactly.

I know Skywest, according to a friend that flies their, said they have in their pilot contract, wages adjustments set incase they get 737. He truely beleived this was a contingence incase they had lost the UAL contract, then Skywest would try and buy 737 and fly them and develop their own airline. Since Skywest got the contract with UAL, its a mute point.

UAL727

HeavySet:

I'm farily certain you are not an idiot, BUT, what you dont know is:
Many SkyWest pilots ARE idiots.

I should know, I've been at SkyWest for 4 years. People here, for some reason, are always easily impressed with outrageous rumors like that. Is guess it makes it easier to wake up in the morning, knowing you're going to be a commuter lifer, if you keep telling yourself that someday you'll get to fly a 737. (Even if it is for $75 bucks an hour...)

Last edited:
I was not trying to slam any Skywest pilots with this post, I was just asking an honest question. I thought it was interesting and the pilots I talked to honestly believed it was going to happen.

Latest resources

Back