• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor Alert-SWA may consider hiring external dispatch applicants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, um, excuse me, but are you trying to say that Southwest is the pinnacle of dispatching as we know it? Har! I guess if you don't mind living in a city where you drive hours upon end to work, where the freeway system looks like a huge p*nis, and the city draws up plans for a victory parade long before they even win a championship, certain counties within the city don't sell alcohol. And don't get me started on all the people that think a cowboy hat is part of their work uniform. As for the job...dispatching is dispatching is dispatching. Get over yourselves.

XPOO, don't you think it's great that some folks have found that job for them? Isn't that the goal that we're all trying to reach? Doing the job that you love for a company that actually treats you like they want you to be there. That's the American dream [cue cheezy music]..... :laugh:

Good companies are dwindling. Southwest is one of them and like Willy Wonka is looking at opening up the chocolate factory for outsiders. Who knows, maybe you'll get a golden ticket and get to go work with the rest of the oompa-loompas (sorry RVSM and Jake :) ).

Seriously, if you like where you're at, no reason to get your panties in a wad because many people think it'll be a good opportunity.

XPOO, don't you think it's great that some folks have found that job for them? Isn't that the goal that we're all trying to reach? Doing the job that you love for a company that actually treats you like they want you to be there. That's the American dream [cue cheezy music]..... :laugh:

Good companies are dwindling. Southwest is one of them and like Willy Wonka is looking at opening up the chocolate factory for outsiders. Who knows, maybe you'll get a golden ticket and get to go work with the rest of the oompa-loompas (sorry RVSM and Jake :) ).

Seriously, if you like where you're at, no reason to get your panties in a wad because many people think it'll be a good opportunity.

No offense taken SKC. XPOO is entitled to his/her opinion. And not that it matters XPOO, but I've been here for a few years now, and I don't think I've seen someone wearing a cowboy hat yet. Dallas is very urban. The cowboy hat stuff is wayyy out there. Yes, the traffic can suck sometimes, but it's not different from any other city. Actually the great part about being a dispatcher here, is that the morning shift arrives way before AM rush hour even starts, and the PM shift arrives way before the PM rush even starts. Housing here is affordable. I don't think RVSM was trying to convey that SWA is the cream of the crop. I think he's just trying to help other dispatchers on here that MAY be interested in one day working for SWA as a dispatcher one day. Within reason, I think he was trying to help out by saying there will be many that apply, and that the interview process is unique from other airlines.

I hear what he is saying, he just said it in a "we're better than everyone out there" mentality, and I had to put him back in his place. And seriously, yes, I have seen many a gas station counter clerk wearing their cowboy hat on duty. Same goes with the cowboy boots. Bright pink ones. What the hell? I'm sorry, but I grew up in cowboy country and you wouldn't catch a real cowboy dead in bright pick cowboy boots. Anyways, checking out the girls at Gators were always a good way to pass the time, and the Grapevine Hooters was also a lovely place. Does that chick that refuses to wear the "proper" attire still work there? She insisted on wearing a full long-sleeve shirt. Anyways, I'd rather be in the open air, where in 15 minutes I can be away from ANYONE doing ANYTHING. And in Dallas, you'd have a long way to drive to be able to breathe and be away from everyone else. But then again, that's my opinion. I'm not trying to sway anyone.

Living in a dump is alright, as long as there are tons of non-rev opportunities, which makes a world of difference. Again, it depends on what you want.

Xpoo,
My apologies if you were upset, my confident demeanor is often mistaken for arrogance. I'm used to it by now.
My intent was to give advanced notice to anyone thinking of coming to work for WN that the interview process is very competitive and to allow them time to research and hone the skills necessary to succeed in the Byzantine Wn interview process.
As for Dallas I think we actually agree that it is not the ideal location for persons that enjoy outdoor recreation and solitude. Fortunately the low cost of living and flexible schedule provide ample opportunity to grab a backpack and catch a plane to a more suitable location for a few days. Not all of us can have our dream job in our dream location.
Good luck to all who make the attempt,
RVSM

Latest resources

Back