Rsvm

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I assume you are speaking of RVSM- "Reduced Vertical Separation Minima."

It is an attempt to redcue the vertical separation given to aircraft above 29,000ft. I do not know if it is in force yet or anything other than what it stands for.

The reasoning is that at higher altitudes, 1000ft of pressure change is not the same as 1000ft of pressure change at lower altitudes... very low densities at those altitudes. The airspace is getting congested so it is an attempt to get some more space for the pilots.

As of Sept, the FAA has proposed that RVSM begin in earnest within the continental US sometime during 2004. The military has been granted an exemption from the rules in that they will not be compliant by that point (making aircraft compliant with RVSM requirements necessitates a major upgrade in the air data computing systems and routine maintenance/calibration).

The reason 2000 ft altitude separation is needed is due to the non-linear decrease in air pressure at higher altitudes. The change in air pressure from, say, FL 290 to 300 is far less than the pressure change you get when moving from 5 to 6 thousand feet. Without upgrades, older altitude measuring systems are not sensitive enough to accurately maintain altitude at the higher flight levels.

Tetauy said:
What exactly is RSVM? When does it have to be complied with?

RVSM is in effect in many parts of the world today...

The North Atlantic, Europe and I believe part of the Pacific Ocean... I personally am looking forward to DRVSM (Domestic RVSM), it allows you more altitudes to chose from and can make smaller steps when step climbing (2,000 ft vs. current 4,000 ft steps)

Hope this helps...

I believe that the FAA has extended the RVSM compliance 30 days from the Dec 2003 deadline to the end of Jan 2004. I truly believe it is going to happen....there are those that feel politics will enter the arena and the FAA will move the mandatory compliance date back considerably...however, i do not agree. The deadline is closer than you think considering the large number of aircraft that still need to make the change and the time it takes. If you figure that the airlines really want this in order to save $$ (fuel costs alone), it is going to happen. Being able to fly with 1,000 ft separation above FL 290 will be great-more options and easier for ATC-less traffic and more direct routes.

the cost of doing the conversion may render some jets obsolete (i.e. citation I and II's). should be interesting regardless.

flyhi

Latest resources

Back