Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thunderworm

the Hoff
does any other carrier have to do rsvm trends each flight day. we have to write down the altimeters on both sides and the standby each time we fly in rsvm. very similar to trend monitoring but for the rsvm. also what reg is that under. thanks

We do this for our 135 operation. It is not a requirement to have written documentation, but you are supposed to conduct the check (i.e. comparison).

Appendix G to Part 91 - Operations in Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) Airspace
I don't see this as a pilot requirement but as a means of the carrier covering itself under G91.6:

Section 6. Reporting Altitude-Keeping Errors.

Each operator shall report to the Administrator each event in which the operator's aircraft has exhibited the following altitude-keeping performance:
(a) Total verticalerror of 300 feet or more;
(b) Altimetry system error of 245 feet or more; or
(c) Assigned altitude deviation of 300 feet or more.

The rationale may be that if you log the readings, the airline can report any errors to the FAA and be covered. They probably figure that recording each RVSM flight readings is more likely to get the job done rather than having the pilots tell the the airline only when the readings are out of whack.

I don't see this as a pilot requirement but as a means of the carrier covering itself under G91.6:
From Appendix G:
(3) Policies and procedures: An applicant who operates under part 121 or 135 of this chapter or under subpart K of this part must submit RVSM policies and procedures that will enable it to conduct RVSM operations safely.

The carrier's application for RVSM authorization includes their RVSM Manual, which pilots are required to follow for operations under the carrier's RVSM authorization. The manual is what requires the record keeping, and of course compliance with Appendix G is required by 91.706.

From Appendix G:
The carrier's application for RVSM authorization includes their RVSM Manual, which pilots are required to follow for operations under the carrier's RVSM authorization. The manual is what requires the record keeping, and of course compliance with Appendix G is required by 91.706.
I'll grant that. What I am saying is that the operator is not required to make a recorded check part of their procedures. They are required to check. They are required to report deviations and errors. They are not required to include recording of inflight readings of normal/compliant altimeter readings in their manual. I think the operator that requires this was the issue in the original post. I don't believe other operators do because they chose not to include such a procedure in their manual. This, of course, is conjecture on my part.

Agreed...I guess i was a little vague in my word-miserly posts ;)

you're only required to record the checks IF the carrier decided to put it in their manual that way.

Our policy not only requires noting the time and altitude of both altimeters (standby not recorded) at entry and exit, but a follow-along notation every hour thereafter. On legs which require additional documentation such as an oceanic, we note this not only on our flight release paperwork, but also on the oceanic charts along with our other position and plotting notations.

Our policy not only requires noting the time and altitude of both altimeters (standby not recorded) at entry and exit, but a follow-along notation every hour thereafter. On legs which require additional documentation such as an oceanic, we note this not only on our flight release paperwork, but also on the oceanic charts along with our other position and plotting notations.

I bet he is just making this up to sound as if he is better and more professional than everyone, he does it in all his posts.

Latest resources

Back