Route Q100 across Gulf of Mexico?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

I was looking at the Low Alt Enroute Chart, L-19 and there is a route that cuts across the Gulf of Mexico. It is Q100 but its not a Victor Airway and the legend on the chart doesn't tell me what it is .. any idea?

I'm planning on ferrying a Twin Comanche back with a very experienced pilot and he told me to look over some charts and think of ways to fly the plane back to Cali. I figure I can cut a few hours off the flight by cutting across the gulf.

L-19 and there is a route that cuts across the Gulf of Mexico. It is Q100 but its not a Victor Airway and the legend on the chart doesn't tell me what it is .. any idea?
I'm suprised one of the "airway sciences" graduates hasn't provided you with an answer?

Q routes are RNAV routes. I seem to remember a minimum altitude of FL250 on Q100 and Q102. Q100 and Q102 are obviously also offshore so you will need life jackets and rafts.

CALI?

Cali as in Cali Columbia?
As in Cali Cartel Colombia?:cool:
You sure you wanna do this?
Considering your TT I would try to talk him into the long way round....:D more multi time...;) and a twin comanche doesn't really fly that well on one engine do they?
300 miles to go on one engine does not really appeal to me that is.. have fun let us know how it worked out..
BTW no idea what that q-route is..:eek:

I just spoke to our guys who code the airways into the database at Jepp.. The Q routes are RNAV airways.. Not sure why the symbology is not in the legend page though. I'll ask around.

BTW Q100 has a MEA of 6000' between FL and LA.

I assumed he meant Cali = California. The Q routes don't show up on my Jepp charts (50/51) or my High Altitudes, so not sure about that routing. As mentioned above, most likely an RNAV route with a route structure not condusive to a Comanche. IFR or VFR in a Comanche will most likely be non-radar/no comm - except perhaps a navy ship stationed that may give some advisories. A lot of military activity in the Warning areas. GPS may also be dongraded in the panhandle/offshore area (saw a NOTAM to that effect). Then you need know your ADIZ penetration procedures, survival gear, etc. Whats the range on that Comanche? Not many fuel options. And this aircraft is unfamilar to you? Mostly likey you will not save much if any time trying to swing this. You'll impress this guy more by selecting a more conservative routing along the shoreline and picking cheap/convienant refuel stops along the way. Try www.airnav.com for fuel planning stops.

I flew that route a year or so ago. Took it from Baton Rouge to FXE. It really doesn's shave off that much time from the over land route.

Just checked DUATS.

Direct Ft Lauderdale to Baton Rouge at 165 true = 4:10
via Low Altitude Enroute Routing at 165 True = 4:36

Not worth the possibility of engine failure, IMHO.

Latest resources

Back