Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rajflyboy

Folks

How much do civilian rotor wing guys typically make?

For instance:

1. Oil Rig Pilot
2. Corporate
3. New York City charter guys who fly around the city and out to the Hamptons

I know the guys flying S-92s in the GOM and North Sea can make pretty good money. 120-150k, but they are high time guys. No idea about the Hampton guys but I see them fly out of Westchester and Teterboro. There are quite a few houses, sorry mansions with heliports that I've seen flying the arrival over Long Island. Must be nice.....

Offshore pay

Folks

How much do civilian rotor wing guys typically make?

For instance:

1. Oil Rig Pilot
2. Corporate
3. New York City charter guys who fly around the city and out to the Hamptons

Offshore helicopter pilots typically start in the high 60's for VFR small ship pilots with a top pay in small ships being about $100k. For IFR multiengine Captains the pay increases with experience up to about $150k in the Gulf of Mexico. In the past, it was possible to make $250k by workover (overtime days at time and a half day rate). My current workover day rate is $960 for example. The offshore oil market is severely depressed at the current time, and shows little sign of improvement over the next year or two. Major company base pay scales are posted on the internet and can be easily searched. Check date of pay scale to be sure its current. Non-union pay scales are much harder to access and are typically lower except in small niche (read special experience or high risk) jobs. Our pilots are currently flying in NYC metro area as well ( to the Hamptons) and receive additional daily allowance for doing so, as do our pilots flying overseas assignments. Base pay is just that, it does not include additional allowances for types of aircraft flown (S-92 for example $400/month) or type of duty being performed (SAR for example $500/month),so SAR in an S-92 is an extra $900/month over base. ATP bonus, recurrent training at time and a half (at least 6 days for ME pilots), equipment allowance, etc... are all in addition to base pay. Hope this info helps.

Latest resources

Back