Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

machtuck

Open to any input:

Im a dual rated pilot, fly full time for airlines and Im considering buying a helo and teaching mostly "add on" ratings in central florida. Question... Does anyone think I will stay busy or am I dreaming. Just looking to offset some expenses. Numerous pilots have approached me to desiring the rating....

If you would consider leasing out the helo you should be able to rack up the required outs per year to break even. Otherwise i would have to say no, you wouldn't stay busy.

I would imagine getting VA approved and gettting the Army folks for CFII and or ATP may catch a few people.

Then again I have no idea how bad getting VA approved is.

My guess is that you would be better off doing fixed wing for the VA guys, not rotary wing, as most of them are looking for fixed wing transitions, rather than the other way around.

Not necessarily. I am looking to get my ATP R/H added, and maybe CFII R/H if the part 61 NPRM doesn't allow an automatic add on, in a year or so. I know several people that have absolutely NO intention of going FW and could have and ATP & CFII pay for them selves over time with some companies bonuses.

For the mil rotary wing folks, and I guess the fixed wing folks as well, there are certainly ways to get your FAA ratings in military aircraft. A lot easier in training aircraft than in major weapon systems, but it might still be possible. I managed to get my ATP and CFI in the helicopter I was instructing in while in the Navy. Just takes a little legwork and research.

I think you would be swimming upstream in that market right now. It is doable. The insurance will eat you up, of course. I doubt you'd make money, the question is how little could you lose.

Latest resources

Back