• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rotor add on training question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like PilotRyan said, the insurance will eat you up. If you put commercial insurance on it you're looking at anywhere from $10-18K/year for the R44, depending on if you do charter or anything else with it.

I am interested in a helicopter add-on. What would it take and how much would it cost?

Like PilotRyan said, the insurance will eat you up. If you put commercial insurance on it you're looking at anywhere from $10-18K/year for the R44, depending on if you do charter or anything else with it.

That must be the Frank's cousin's brother-in-law's Caymen Is insurance company. I'd do a ton of research before going with them.

1) Helo insurance is a lot worse than fw.
2) To get VA approval, you must be 141.

Best of luck.

That must be the Frank's cousin's brother-in-law's Caymen Is insurance company. I'd do a ton of research before going with them.

Yep. that's the one.

Sad thing is they're the cheapest. Especially since this guy up here only has 500 hours rw, none commercial.

Heyas,

I ran a ATP/instrument add on thing back in the early 90s, right when the new insurance regs were motivating people into getting their IR/RW.

We did it in an IFR equipped R-22, and it ran great unless you had a guy too big for the R-22. We advertised a 6 hour program, which included the checkride. I must have signed off 20+ people over one summer.

The problem with these types of courses is that it is a requirement that the students already have their IR/FW AND be instrument current and competent. I had a number of headaches with students who had, ahem, overestimated their compentency and started to scream when they went over budget.

Be that as it may, it is VERY, VERY difficult to run this kind of op with a single ship. Guys who are looking for a IR or ATP add on are usually in a hurry, and want the thing to be done in 2-3 days over a weekend. We had a fleet of R-22s, and two full time mechanics and a store room full of parts, and we STILL had show stoppers.

Trying to get AOG service on the weekend will make you go broke quicker than you can say "Frankie Robinson".

If you are considering doing add-ons with guys with NO helio time, then you are talking guys flying solo, and now your insurance is on a rocket ride to Jupiter.

Honestly, if you want an R-44, make sure you have enough cash to own it without trying to make any money with it. If you can do some casual ratings in it, consider it found money.

Another thing to consider is that when guys approach you for ratings, the first thing in their minds is "hey, I've got a buddy who will let me do this cheap!". When you show them what it will really cost, most will say "ahh, I've got do some stuff on the boat...maybe next summer!".

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back